• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Mega Charizard X Revealed!

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
Mega_Charizard_X_Official_Art_300dpi.jpg
Today marked the day the anime special Pokémon Origins aired in Japan, and surprisingly enough it brought with it the reveal of a brand new Mega Evolution. During Pokémon Origins we were treated to the sight of a brand new Mega Evolution for Charizard, which was officially revealed worldwide directly after the anime special.
Mega Charizard X anime.jpg
The new Mega Evolution has been revealed as Mega Charizard X, and as the name suggests is exclusive to Pokémon X. To turn Charizard into this form then you need it to be holding the Charizardite X. One of the most exciting changes to Charizard with this evolution however is the fact the Pokémon becomes a Fire and Dragon type, while Mega Charizard Y kept the original Fire and Flying type of Charizard. Mega Charizard X also gains a new ability known as Tough Claws which raises the power of moves which make direct contact.

A trailer showing off Mega Charizard was also released, you can watch that below:

Oh man, that blue fire, black skin coloration is so sleek. I love it! I do prefer Charizard Y though. This also makes me wonder, how many pokemon will have version exclusive Mega evolutions?

Also, everyone's thinking it, I'm just saying it, OMGITSFINALLYDRAGONTYPE!! Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeess!!!!?

Addendum: What's the shiny gonna look like.

Last edited:
Welp, people got what they wanted! I have to say that I do like Mega Charizard X though. The original shiny Charizard was always cool so I like that black is the the default here. I'm intrigued by the Tough Claws ability because Charizard has always been a special attacker. Could this Charizard gain higher attack to be able to use physical, direct contact moves?

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
I don't like it and didn't from the second I saw the thing. I like Mega Charizard Y's design a lot better, and while I'm pleased this thing is finally Fire/Dragon, that isn't enough to save it for me.

Just don't think Charizard needed another mega form, especially one that can only be obtained in one game (and the game I went for would have the Mega I like least >> <<), so I'm quite disappointed with this move.

There is doing things for the fans and then there is overdoing it. This is one of the those times where it's overdone.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
I really like the design, but I don't like how it's another version exclusive Mega Evolution. Makes me wonder if the other starters will also get one, or other 'mons in general after Mewtwo also got version-exclusive Mega evolutions.

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
Oh man, that blue fire, black skin coloration is so sleek. I love it! I do prefer Charizard Y though. This also makes me wonder, how many pokemon will have version exclusive Mega evolutions?

I was thinking the same thing. Mewtwo was one thing being Legendary and all, but now I'm curious to know if every Mega Form will be Version Exclusive, and if so, which ones belong to which? *Hopes for the best Infernape Form to be Y exclusive*

ASDFGHJKL PRECIOUS BABY YOU'RE A DRAGON TYPE NOW :D

Sorry this is just so freaking cool and he looks so awesome and he's in the anime too and it makes me excited for other starters with exclusive mega evolutions and it just makes me so happy and satisfied and *collapses*

And Tough Claws is a rather interesting ability, seeing this thing with flare blitz is going to put it on a dangerous level, and it also makes me wonder if the item required can be traded over to Y.

Still, while I like this version a lot, I still quite like the other mega evolution too. And while I was spazzing, it makes me wonder what mega forms will be exclusive to what games, and if Blastoise and or Venusaur will have it too, or if Charizard is a special case.

Either way, this is really making my choice to play through X or Y, my choices in starters, and my choices in team a lot harder than before.

While I'm stoked to see my favorite Pokemon be a dragon type, I'm not too keen on the design here. It looks okay but they should have stuck with the original design instead of giving it another Mega Evolution. The ability however is awesome and I'm suprised that others like Syther and Zangoose won't get that ability.

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
So this was needless in every sense of the word. :) The only thing I like about it is the color scheme. All of the other tidbits look, well, stupid. The shoulders especially. >> (Also, I'm fairly certain it could not fly with wings like that, but I suppose a Science-y person would know better than I.)

Don't really care one way or the other on the new typing, really. This Gen has just been "well, what has the internet been crapping out for the past few years? Yeah, let's do what these 100,000 people came up with! :'D" Or that's how it has been feeling (mixed in with some intense derp).

For all of the good this Gen has done, it seems to constantly be off-setting itself with needless over-kill and fanservice. Did they feel like Gen V was too stand-alone and this time they needed to compensate or something? Alas, I was already leaning towards Y anyways, so this thing should not be an issue for me. :)

I don't like this. I mean, I do aesthetically. But this is just overdoing it, as others said before me. Did we need this? No, I don't think so.

And revealing it on the special that's supposed to be exclusively about the events of the first generation? While, at the time, the concept of Megaevolutions was not even in Tajiri's dreams? That doesn't make any sense!

Okaaaaaay. Wasn't expecting this at all.

On one hand, OMG-IT'S-A-BLACK-CHARIZARD-WITH-BLUE-FIRE-EEEEEEEEE!

Which is to say, I think this Mega Charizard is awesome. It has the Fire/Dragon typing I've been waiting for, and an interesting ability, Tough Claws.

On the other hand, though, there's some issues I have with the design, namely the shoulders, the wings, and the blue fire that seems to constantly stream out of both sides of its maw.

Hmm...I wonder if this means Blastoise and Venusaur get two Mega Evolutions? And how many more Mega Evolutions have version-exclusive forms?

Anyway, I like this one slightly more, but I won't be getting Y first. ;_;

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I actually love this design 100% from the wings to the odd spikes on its shoulders to the blue fire coming from its face. I'm slightly concerned that it means this blatant attempt to please fans has worked on me, but oh well. Still epic :D

His design is pretty awesome, but I still don't care for Charizard. Game Freak seems to be heavy on Gen 1 fan service right now and it's kind of aggravating. What about all the other starters? What about fans who grew up with Typhlosion, Meganium, or Feraligatr? What about the G4 and G5 fans? What about Blaziken's bros, Sceptile and Swampert?

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
When I first saw this I didn't watch the video, but I have since. Holy crap, it looks awful in-game. >> The...fire(?) in its mouth looks like bits of streamer in-game. I feel like that's not even limitations of the game, that's just laziness or something. :\

Great Scott!!! This thing is SO FREAKING EPIC looking!!!

Charizard has FINALLY became a Fire/Dragon type!! Mega Charizard X is the REAL Charizard to me, now!!

Last edited:
O_O so....that...that's what my brother-in-law's Charmeleon is evolving in to? Only a Mega-Blastoise X can stop THAT! P.S. I just wet my pants.

just because of this i am choosing to get pokemon X!!i love charizard and i love dragon type! this mighty beast is to me a god in pokemon world!!! i am in love!

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
i thought that im in love when i first saw mega charazard x im going to get pokemon x from granger games but in japanese :)
Fair warning: The games are all multilingual, so you can play in Japanese on an English copy if you so please:

june_new_p1_01.jpg

More to the point, you will have to - the 3DS is region-locked, a Japanese copy will not work on a non-Japanese console. Get a proper copy designed for your console. You'll still be able to play the games in Japanese if you so wish.

I love that there are two mega evos for Charizard, now people can choose whether they want it to change type or not in battle. They both look pretty cool I must say, though I'm guessing Blastoise and Venusaur aren't getting two mega evos as well, which is a shame. XD