• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Japanese release date for HeartGold/SoulSilver confirmed.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
HGSS_box_legends.png

An update on the official HeartGold/SoulSilver website has given out the official release dates of HeartGold and SoulSilver, revealing that the games are set to be released in Japan on September 12th 2009. The date was given away on a downloadable wallpaper that can be acquired via this link:

http://www.pokemon.co.jp/special/hgss/special/wallpaper.html

The game likely won't see appearances in the US or the UK for a while now, but it's likely that the game will hit the US around Spring 2010, and the UK/Europe getting it in early Summer 2010, similar to how Diamond/Pearl/Platinum were released.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I hadn't planned on importing this until it was out in America - but all these great additions have me sorely tempted...

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
September 17th? Wow. That's earlier than I thought - I didn't expect to see it until Christmas time.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
It's around the same time as Platinum - so it makes sense, really. One can likely expect a March date for the US release again too.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I'm very tempted too... but I know that I'll enjoy the game much more if I wait for the American release. Not understanding anything would annoy me XD

I'm glad to hear that it's no too far away and that the dates will be similar to Platinum (hopefully). Can't wait ^^

I'll just pick it up next time I'm in Florida, around April time. Catch the American version before they remove the Game Corner again :p

This is awesome news and I can't wait for it in America. Just all the times Pokemon games where released, why does it take such a long time to translate it in English? There in Japan they know English quite fluently so why the long delay? Anyways, all these new additions and how the 2nd generation was my favourite I might learn some Japanese and buy it on the Japanese release date :p!

Yes! Finally, Johto is within sight, and is not being dangled above us by the mystery.

I am defintitely going to preorder this when it opens up in America.

After missing my chance to get Silver ten years ago, I finally get to play it on the DS!

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
This is awesome news and I can't wait for it in America. Just all the times Pokemon games where released, why does it take such a long time to translate it in English? There in Japan they know English quite fluently so why the long delay? Anyways, all these new additions and how the 2nd generation was my favourite I might learn some Japanese and buy it on the Japanese release date :p!

"There in Japan they know English quite fluently"... what? Just... what?

Anyways, it's not the Japanese that translate it - it's Nintendo of America (and then onwards to NOE), and typically the localisation team consists of one translator and a couple of programmers - it's not exactly something that can be done over night.

Technically, I'm sure they could manage an earlier release than March in America - but that's where marketing comes in. It makes more sense to release it around that period because the two months prior to it, everyone's still broke from Christmas and March is where retail starts seeing growth again. The fact that it's around Easter is also rather beneficial - especially for a game aimed at children.

Indeed, likewise a translation isn't just taking words and making them in English. A lot of things are reprogrammed like the actual symantics on the English language (prepositions, use of proper nouns and adverbs, etc) as well as having certain sound files translated, images/sprites hacked, wi-fi localization, etc

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
I can't wait! I will read plot reviews and new content when it does come out in Japan, but I'll wait for it to get to America before actually playing it :p.

I cant wait either! Johto was and still is my favorite. The "Pokewalker" pedometer thingy, and having a pokemon walk behind you look like welcome changes from the good old GSC days. ;D

If it's released September 12 in Japan, then I think for the American release, it would be between late April and early July (or maybe early August), but it's just one man's guess.

i just made that my wallpaper!
but anyways, serebii.net says that it will ship for the usual price of 4800 yen. (48.58 US $ and 30.4 pounds)

Damn the constant changing exchange rate... When I bought Diamond in Japan after its release 4800 yen was exactly £24

So tempted to get a japanese version, not all the text is really that important, unless they do a huge plot change or 5 it should play along the same lines as before... I'm all for trying to get through it without much help...
I'll be importing from america as well, screw waiting months haha