• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Japanese Pokemon site possibly teases Alolan forms of Dragonite and Zubat

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Cpn0dCmUIAM3GKo.jpg
Following yesterday's official reveal of new Pokemon, new Alolan forms and Team Skull, the Japanese Pokemon Site added, along with the details of the newly revealed Pokemon, seemingly entirely random pages featuring both Dragonite and Zubat, then sent out this cryptic tweet:

The text effectively translates to 'Dragonite and Zubat arrives in Sun and Moon! Stay tuned to learn more about these familliar Pokemon!", and neither the twitter account nor the official site goes into any more detail on why they've suddenly given prominence to these Pokemon in relation to Sun and Moon.

The most likely explanation, of course, is that they're the next Pokemon to receive the 'Alolan form' treatment - perhaps being limited specifically to Dragonite in its case and presumably the entire Zubat line in theirs? The specific presence of Zubat probably rules out mega evolution, under the assumption that whatever is to be revealed in relation to them is the same for both. If Zubat's line does in fact have an Alolan form all the way through - including Crobat - that would also mark the first non-Gen I Alolan Pokemon too.

The decision to upload these pages prior to any actual announcement about the importance of these Pokemon to the games is a pretty unusual one, even for the Japanese side of the Pokemon hype train. So, realistically, there's also a chance that it could be something entirely different and perhaps unpredictable that they will be revealing in relation to these two Pokemon, rather than Alolan forms... but at this moment all we can really say is that something is up with Dragonite and Zubat in the new games and it's possibly Alolan forms...

We'll update you with any solid facts as and when they appear...​

You know, I'm all for Mewtwo getting one, but that's not happening with his 2 Megas. But Mew deserves an Alolan form more than anyone else in the whole 700+
I am with that. MEW:angel: NEEDS MORE GOOD LOOKS. I looks uglier the Mewtwo. IT NEEDS MORE GOOD LOOKS and powerful move. Buuuuuut I will be able to use all the new moves like all the other gens.:up: Yes :angel:<.>:\=|:

I dont think either one are gonna get alola forms because we already seen them both in trailers for sun and moon and they look exactly the same..plus going on the japanese website shows there not in the same catagory with the alolan form pokemon...instead there in the catagory "appearing pokemon".

I am with that. MEW:angel: NEEDS MORE GOOD LOOKS. I looks uglier the Mewtwo. IT NEEDS MORE GOOD LOOKS and powerful move. Buuuuuut I will be able to use all the new moves like all the other gens.:up: Yes :angel:<.>:\=|:
We can always go for a fresh, MEW concept. After all, Alolan formes seem like an a-MEW-sing addition.
Maybe Gamefreak should have a poll on it, something to com-MEW-nicate with the fans.

i don't think anyone would like alolan zubat

Speak for yourself! Yay new zubat! Oh I wonder what type it will be?! If it's another dark type I'll be disappointed, unless its something crazy like Dark/Fairy or Dark/Dragon because that'd be damn cool... Ahhh I just know I'm going to be let down, but if we're getting an Aloha Crobat I'll be super stoked, if Crobat is getting a mega, well that's the only pokémon I will definitely be using on my team =)

Aloha Dragonite seems like a great idea, I get the impression they will finally give us an alternate form of dragonite more players will be happy with. The whole Aloha form gives them a great opportunity to give fans some of the pokémon they always wanted, for example turning marowak ghost. Now if they overdo the ice typing with Aloha forms and gives us an ice/dragon dragonite it'l be a massive shame, despite dragonair's pokedex entry making reference to icy water conditions, water/dragon would relegate kingdra, short of also getting an alohan horsea line =)

Honestly, I hope we don't get an Alola form for Dragonite. What I like about this concept is that, unlike Mega Evolutions, we've only been getting Alola forms for either pokémon that nobody likes or ones that are now useless in competitive battles, so it feels more like they're trying to show love for the underdogs rather than fan pandering. If they do give Dragonite one, it'll just defeat the purpose since everyone will just use it and forget about all of the other Alola forms