• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

It's Finally Happening! Pokémon to Receive a Live-Action Movie

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Detective Pikachu.png
It's happening!

After years of rumbles and debates surrounding the creation of a live-action Pokémon movie it's finally becoming a reality. Thanks to the tremendous success of Pokémon Go, the bidding wars to obtain the rights to film the franchise's first live-action movie came to a head when Legendary Pictures moved in for the kill. Now, for better or worse, the global entertainment company and the Pokémon Company have confirmed that a deal has been reached.

With production of the movie set to begin in 2017, the film will apparently not be based around the main series video games nor take inspiration from the Pokémon anime series. Instead, the star of Pokémon's first romp into the world of non-animated cinema will be Detective Pikachu. Yup. I wouldn't fault anyone for forgetting about the character as the 3DS game of the same name (released earlier this year in Japan) has yet to be confirmed for a western release, but maybe that will soon change thanks to this movie? Whichever the case, time to restart those debates over who'd make the best Detective Pikachu English voice actor.

The movie will be distributed by Toho Pictures in Japan and Universal Pictures internationally. No plot or character details - or anything else regarding the movie - have yet been revealed, but we'll let you know once more information has been shared.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
DETECTIVE PIKACHU~ And only fitting that Katiechu wrote the article :'D

I'm actually pretty excited, not gonna lie. I'm not sure how well a live-action movie will fare since I'm so used to animated stuffs from Pokemon, be it the games or the anime, but I can't wait to see how they do with this~

I'm now super curious who will be the lucky star that will become ever-more famous over taking the role of Detective Pikachu. I mean, it's a given that whoever it is, for good or for bad, they have a lot of fame coming for them once they fill the shoes. :)

On a different note, however, I'm personally hoping they slip in a cameo appearance of one of the English anime voice actors, preferably one of the original voices of Ash, Misty or Brock. :nom:

Dang, I was hoping it would be based off the anime series or at least have human trainers battling and stuff :'| I just hope this one doesn't go as bad as the other anime live-action movies go

WHY, OH WHY did Nintendo pick detective pikachu, SURE it's cute but idc, I wish they did the live action about EVERY SINGLE Pokemon EVER are being turned evil of something and ash and co have to stop them by capturing them or something badass

It's happening!

After years of rumbles and debates surrounding the creation of a live-action Pokémon movie it's finally becoming a reality. Thanks to the tremendous success of Pokémon Go, the bidding wars to obtain the rights to film the franchise's first live-action movie came to a head when Legendary Pictures moved in for the kill. Now, for better or worse, the global entertainment company and the Pokémon Company have confirmed that a deal has been reached.

With production of the movie set to begin in 2017, the film will apparently not be based around the main series video games nor take inspiration from the Pokémon anime series. Instead, the star of Pokémon's first romp into the world of non-animated cinema will be Detective Pikachu. Yup. I wouldn't fault anyone for forgetting about the character as the 3DS game of the same name (released earlier this year in Japan) has yet to be confirmed for a western release, but maybe that will soon change thanks to this movie? Whichever the case, time to restart those debates over who'd make the best Detective Pikachu English voice actor.

The movie will be distributed by Toho Pictures in Japan and Universal Pictures internationally. No plot or character details - or anything else regarding the movie - have yet been revealed, but we'll let you know once more information has been shared.
I really hope this isn't real especially after Dragon Ball

I am both interested and horrified over this. While the Detective Pikachu movie sounds pretty good, I'm personally worried that this will eventually lead to a live-action movie based on the anime or the main game since I just know that a film like that is going to be absolutely terrible

It's happening!

A video game based movie? That's gone so well before, right? *cough* super Mario bros. *cough* Mortal Kombat. Anyways, I can totally imagine Pikachu having Sherlock's voice.

I'm not so sure about this... a lot of animes have live action movies like Dragon Ball & Avatar: The Last Airbender & they weren't, let's say "the best movies ever". Hopefully this is a good one though, I'm looking forward to finding out. :blush: