• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

INSANE CALCULATION Tournament

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
InsaneCalculation_zps8fdc70ae.jpg

SIGNUPS ARE NOW CLOSED!

Due to positive reception and the arrival of Pokemon Bank today, the Insane Calculation tournament has officially received the go-ahead. The rules are as follows, some of which have been directly taken from the previous topic:

The rules are similar to the Alphabet Soup tournament held back in Gen IV but, hence the name, a fair bit more complicated. It's 3vs3 singles again, mainly so that people don't have to breed and train too many Pokemon right away, and instead of just letters, you'll be receiving three separate characteristics for each individual Pokemon in your team, for example:

Pokemon 1 must be a Grass-type. Dual-typed Pokemon do count as long as one of their types is Grass-type.
Pokemon 2 must not be blue in colour. If the Pokemon's shiny colouration is not blue but the regular form is blue, only the shiny form can be used and vice versa.
Pokemon 3's species name must contain more than five letters.
[prebreak][/prebreak]
Clauses in play are as follows:

- Species Clause: No two Pokemon with the same National Pokedex number can be used on the same team.
- Sleep Clause: No two Pokemon can be put to sleep on any team. Self-inflicted sleep via Rest or randomly-inflicted sleep via Effect Spore or Metronome does not count towards this.
- Evasion Clause: The moves Double Team and Minimize are banned from use, and the ability Moody is banned from use.
- OHKO Clause: The moves Sheer Cold, Fissure, Guillotine and Horn Drill are banned from use.
- Soul Dew Clause: The item Soul Dew is banned from use.
- Fair Play Clause: If any match would end in a draw due to the use of Destiny Bond, Selfdestruct or Explosion, the user of the respective move loses the match. Due to changes to the move's mechanics, Perish Song no longer falls under this clause.

The following Pokemon are banned from use:

- Mewtwo
- Ho-Oh
- Lugia
- Kyogre
- Groudon
- Rayquaza
- Deoxys (All formes)
- Dialga
- Palkia
- Giratina (Both formes)
- Arceus (All formes)
- Reshiram
- Zekrom
- White Kyurem
- Xerneas
- Yveltal

Mega Pokémon are permitted to be used.

If I've forgotten anything someone is bound to remind me since this stuff is more-or-less standard and universal to tournaments almost everywhere.

If you're interested in signing up, simply post in this thread saying so. If you have any queries, post them here as well. The signup period will end on February 18th 2014, at which point every person who signed up will receive a PM from myself giving them all the insane details they need to follow to make their team.

Two other things to note: If you're not 100% sure you wish to compete, note that signing up and then dropping out without a good reason will result in you being unable to participate in future tournaments and may net you an official forum warning for good measure. Also, anyone simply saying "this sounds interesting" in this thread or anything that isn't a question or a sign-up will get warned for SPAM.

So without further ado, sign-ups are go.

SIGN-UPS:

- Teapot
- Shocari
- Demelza
- Psycho Monkey
- Dinova
- Ruko
- Gliscario39
- Lucario of the North
- Kanarichan
- Linkachu

Last edited:

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
Question: You used Grass-type, not blue, and five letters as an example. Are those universal for everyone or will each participant be assigned three random characteristics out of a wider pool of choices?

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
Sign me up, I posted something to your profile I could have just posted here, but I wasn't sure I'd want to sign up at the time.

I also second the question about Mega Evolutions.

[Edit]
Also, are we restricted to exactly three pokemon, or could we pick... say six pokemon with two falling into each restriction and rotate them out per match to keep things fresh and unknown?

Last edited:

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
[Edit]
Also, are we restricted to exactly three pokemon, or could we pick... say six pokemon with two falling into each restriction and rotate them out per match to keep things fresh and unknown?

You're restricted to three since I'll only be giving you three specific requirements, one for each Pokemon.

Can I join but can I also as a question?

This is my first tournament and I don't know how to do this. Do we do a wifi battle or something? As long as I find out how to actually battle, Im In!

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Can I join but can I also as a question?

This is my first tournament and I don't know how to do this. Do we do a wifi battle or something? As long as I find out how to actually battle, Im In!

Everything is done through Wi-Fi, so as long as you have Wi-Fi that your 3DS can connect to you can battle in the tournament. If you need any help on the day, feel free to ask anyone and we'll guide you through anything you have trouble with.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
How will you know what time you are competing during the tournament?
Normally, once you're assigned a battle you're given a set number of days to do it in - it's then up to you to organise exactly when you have your battle with your opponent.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Do the Pokémon that we choose that have the limitations have to go in order, like first is the Grass type, then the non-blue, then the more than 5 character name?

Oh, and by the way, I got a bold Leafeon in the first egg :D

They can be sent out in any order you feel like in battle.

Also, those three are just examples of what to expect. Those aren't the actual requirements you or anyone else will be receiving.

Normally, once you're assigned a battle you're given a set number of days to do it in - it's then up to you to organise exactly when you have your battle with your opponent.
Cool thanks I'm definitely interested in this but ill confirm sign up in a dy or so

Actually, I found out today that I'm going on vacation during the time of the tournament and the place I'm going has no WiFi, so I can't do it. D:

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
...and with that, signups are now closed!

All participants will be receiving a private message from myself giving them the details for their three Pokemon shortly. All further information will be in your private messages, and if you have any further questions or need help in any way, simply reply to the PM I send you and I can deal with it as quickly as possible.

To be honest, I'm kinda scared i'll get eliminated first round because this is my first tournament and look at all these mods and veterans, it's not gonna go well.
Imagine if some youtuber like KingNappy was in this. We would get absolutely demolished.

To be honest, I'm kinda scared i'll get eliminated first round because this is my first tournament and look at all these mods and veterans, it's not gonna go well.
Imagine if some youtuber like KingNappy was in this. We would get absolutely demolished.

As long as you have a decent grasp of competitive battling, you should do fine ^^ Besides, I don't have access to my sun team this time around, so I can't go like 12-1 again :)

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
@Gliscario39: Sho's right. You have the same chance of winning as the rest of us. You've already passed the point of no return so you're only choice now is to put your best foot forward and give it your best shot! :up: