• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

How to become staff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys im new here. i just want to know, how do you become staff (or moderator, idk) on this website? sorry if i sound insoent, i was just wondering.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
There are no applications. You are selected by an elite committee, which alternately chooses staff and discusses how to overthrow various major governments, and their decision is final and their patience thin. Staff are then taken at birth and raised in Pokécharms HQ - selected at birth for their abilities, birthright, and proficiency with armblades, banishing their enemies to the Void, explosions, wielding pizza with deadly effect, or any other useful skill. They undergo many years of rigorous training and discipline, and eventually are unleashed into the world to fight crime, administrate and generally kick ass. They are not the heroes we deserve, but the heroes we need to stop our fair website being crushed by legions of n00bs. A thankless job, but one which must be done.

By which I mean you don't become staff, you are chosen and have the position offered to you if we feel you can work well with us and add something to our team. No-one who has ever asked to become staff has been handed a position, and no-one who asks ever will. It's also not exactly sunshine and roses - this is not a Minecraft server, where staff ranks mean nothing but favouritism and the ability to abuse the system for your own amusement. Here, you earn respect as a valued member - nearly all of the non-founding staff did, and so do all our regulars. We don't pin a shiny "YOU TRIED" badge on you.

Do your best to be a solid member of the community, like so many people here. Trust me, that's worth far more than a red or green badge.

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
Check out the join dates of the staff members and you'll see we've all been here for several years at least. Notice also that we are all adults, some of us quite ancient indeed. (Ignore @Yoshimitsu's forum age, it's a joke :)).

New staff are added when there is a need for them, which happens pretty much only when an existing staff member retires because of real-life commitments.

It is hard work moderating the site and the chat. We have to deal with spambots (deleting them from existence) as well as members who break the rules, and it's not always newbies who cause trouble. Sometimes it's a member you've known for a long time and consider a friend. The rules must be applied equally to everyone, and not all potential staff members have the emotional maturity to discipline a friend in the exact same way as a stranger.

It would be very unlikely for us to pick someone who was under 16, and we would not pick someone who hadn't been a regular on the site for at least a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.