• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Global Link Closing in Late October, Relaunching With Sun and Moon

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
The Global Link has announced that the sixth generation Global Link that powers some of the online functionality for Pokémon X, Y, Omega Ruby, and Alpha Sapphire will be shut down in late October, a few weeks before the release of Pokémon Sun and Moon. The change will mean that Game Sync will no longer function, and the Global Link website will be inaccessible. Additionally, you'll no longer be able to compete in Rating Battles or the Online Competitions.

The sixth generation Global Link was a nifty idea that was released alongside Pokémon X and Y in 2013, which caused all of Game Freak's servers to melt under the flood of newly-minted trainers. The service is the home to the PokéMileage Club, the Medal system, a Logbook of in-game events, and the Online Competitions, among other features. Unfortunately, it wasn't given much attention after XY's release and received nothing new with Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, leading at least a few Pokémon players to forget about it entirely. Still, at least it wasn't the Dream World. The music still haunts my nightmares.

As an appreciative gesture, the Global Link will be hosting a sale on the PokéMileage Club: PP Ups, Rare Candies, and Heart Scales will be 50% off from 25th July until the service closes. If you have 5000 Poké Miles and enough medals, you'll also be able to buy Ability Capsules for the first time. Attractions, the mini-games that net you items as rewards, will also cost half the Poké Miles to play.

It's worth noting that this doesn't entirely shut down the online functionality for the sixth generation games – trades, battles, and Wonder Trades will still continue to work as long as Nintendo Network is online. This means that although this sounds like a major closure, most of the online functionality will continue to work until Nintendo Network closes its doors.

On the bright side, Pokémon Sun and Moon will launch with a shiny new Global Link, and just yesterday we learned of a new Global Link feature: you'll be able to host your own tournaments in a variety of formats.

Attachments

• logo_xy_default.png
    logo_xy_default.png
    20 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
I use the Global Link for online competitions and I just compete in a few of those to get special Pokemon. But if it helps make the GL transition for Sun and Moon smoother, then cool.

Yay!!! But Nintendo should do something about GTS... It's ridiculous!>=O And do something about BAD and Mystery EGGS. Nobody likes them and they freak me out!