• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Get the popcorn!

I saw X-Men: Days of Future Past with a few friends recently. Let's just say afterwards, I had a huge nerd-rage rant about everything wrong with it that could easily fill a few pages in a Microsoft Word document, if not very coherently. While the film alone had a good story, there were too many inaccuracies and stupid decisions that kept me from fully enjoying it. For example, I know Halle Berry was pregnant and couldn't be the most physical, but Storm's powers don't often require physical movement for full effect. She could have been a lot more useful. Another little nitpick was with Ink, the tattooed 'mutant.' In the comics, he's no mutant--his tattoo artist was, having the ability to bestow abilities based upon what they were tattooing upon someone. (by the way, radiation sickness does more than make one vomit, silly) I'll stop myself before I go too far now. :p

TL;DR DoFP was pretty good as a standalone story, but it'll bug hardcore fans to no end.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I also recently watched X-Men: Days of Future Past and I looooved it. It was a nice follow-up to First Class and very much worth the watch if you're an X-Men fan~

The next movie that I'd like to see is Maleficent. Not sure if I'll be able to manage it but I shall try. :angel:

Went to the cinema to try and catch Maleficent but didn't fancy waiting 2 hours for the next showing so I caught Godzilla instead. Was a good movie wasn't to my tastes but still enjoyed :)

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I went so see Maleficent yesterday and I really, really liked it! It was such a nicely done film, although to be fair it could have been terrible and I'd have still loved it just for the fact that Maleficent's wings were super, super pretty :') Visually very beautiful and the story was an interesting one with a lovely soundtrack. Very glad I got to see it and I'd happily recommend it.

pokeman266

2015 Singles Champion
Edge of Tomorrow is a movie I saw just the other day n Imax 3D. Some ideas were a bit clicher, but it was different from any movie I've seen before. As Tom Cruise movies go, it was good. I had no idea what the movie was even about before I watched. If you're looking for something a bit different from your average action movie I guess you could try it out.
I really wish that I watched Maleficent instead though :(

AzureEdge

✧luzrov rulay✧
If you haven't watched Big hero 6 watch it.
I just watched it, because the box office sales, and marvel's comics sparked my interest in the movie. (50 million in a weekend. Damn.)
It did live up to the expectations, and surpassed it. Who doesn't love a marshmallow robot?
I would love to buy it on DVD.
The setting is a clash of 2 cities, San Francisco and Tokyo.
I don't want to give any part of the plot away, but all I will say is, stay after the credits. You'll be laughing.

I want to see-
-Dumb and dumber 2
-The book of life
-The maze runner
- Dracula Untold
-And guardians of he galaxy. (If it's still in theaters)

@AzureEdge: Go see Guardians before its too late. Best movie I have seen in a long time. Only movie ive gone to theatres to see more then once since the Matrix.

Went to see Interstellar this weekend. Its a great movie for anyone that really loves sci-fi. Don't expect action adventure or anything, its a very heavy and serious movie.

Not really for kids overall simply because the science behind it may go over their heads.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Interstellar was amazing. A very profound and deep film I thought, it really gives you stuff to consider and think about. Plus it was so pretty to look at. I'd definitely recommend seeing it, even though it's a long film at roughly three hours long and it's not very 'action' based. Awesome film though, I really enjoyed it.

Dat relativity of time :V

Bad News Bears. As a baseball fan, this movie is not only really funny, but an inspiring story about becoming a master by starting out as a feeble, youthful rookie. Fantastic movie with that classic 70's vibe. Remake wasn't as good though.

Ghostbusters. The movie is fantastic! Has some great comedic moments, an interesting idea, and that famous theme song.

The last movie I remember seeing was The Giver back in December(our local theatre put it on specifically for our school). I remember me and some boys in my class put our money together and got $80 worth of popcorn,snacks and drinks. It was the best.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
It's not at the cinema but hopefully tonight I'll finally be able to watch the new Dracula movie. It came out on DVD yesterday, and I'd really wanted to see it at the cinema but never got round to it due to being busy busy :'(

So looking forward to it, I hope it's good an not a let down :D

My family & I are trying to get ready for the Oscars, so we've been seeing several films that have been nominated:
  • The Grand Budapest Hotel- A nice story and the scenic work was amazing, but there were times when the pacing was incredibly slow and the dialogue was too dry
  • Into the Woods- Pretty much what I expected, a great film with phenomenal songs. I'd have a better opinion if I saw the musical first, but despite that it was still great
  • American Sniper- All I can say is that this film has given me a new-found respect for veterans. I haven't been this shocked or horrified watching a movie since my sister dragged me to see The Hills Have Eyes
  • Wild- SLOW . . . AS . . . MOLASSES. Enough said -_-
Right now, I really want to try and see Song of the Sea before the Oscars, but I don't think I'll be able to since the only places in my area that are showing it are both 2+ hours away

Last edited:

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
Over the valentines weekend me and @Teapot went to see the Shaun the Sheep movie, both being fans of Aardman Animations work with both Shaun the Sheep and Wallace & Gromit. Overall I have to say the movie was simply splendid and they managed to capture the world of Shaun the Sheep well enough to keep you interested in something much longer than the 10 minute short episodes, despite the fact not a single character in the series/show/movie actually speaks a word.

One of the brilliant things about Aardman is undoubtedly that their characters are so emotive, with Shaun and his farmyard friends being no exception. The movie managed to balance perfectly between some of the farmyard antics and the great big adventure in the city for the animals. I'm not the biggest comedy fan, but everything was well timed and I always had a smile on my face when the movie was trying to get such a reaction out of me.

Overall very happy with it and will probably be buying it on Blu-ray when such a release rolls around, can never see quite enough of Shaun...

Last edited:

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Recently got back from watching Kingsman: The Secret Service and it was more or less everything that I expected, in a good way. Good action, interesting conceptually and some good twists/suspense, great humor at times, etc.

There's just something about it that felt a bit off to me and I can't put my finger on. Might have been the pacing in a few places. I haven't really had the chance to sit and think about it... but maybe that's a good thing? I definitely enjoyed it overall. As far as violent action/suspense/spy flicks go, it's a fun one that doesn't take itself overly seriously. Makes for a good watch. :)

(Hah, I was wondering why it felt like I was watching Kick Ass at times. Same director. xp)

Last edited:

Hydroblade

Formerly Magic Jack
Well, im not made of money, but the last time i went to the movies i went to see Guardians of the Galaxy with my girlfriend.
Oh god, it was flipping amazing, and, and Groot...
I thought it was a really good movie

I went and saw Jupiter Ascending a few days ago. The storyline was a little strange and confusing at times, but the special effects in it were really good. Some of the human-animal hybrids looked a little weird (there was one guy who looked like a human-mouse hybrid), but there were also these really badass dragon-looking creatures. Actually they were the reason why I wanted to see the movie. Some of the acting was a bit 'meh' (though I thought Channing Tatum played his role well), and the voice of the villain really started to get on my nerves by the time the movie was almost over. Overall the movie was decent, it's just the confusing plot that threw me of.
I'd probably rate it 6.5/10

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I've watched two movies over the past couple of days: Cinderella (live action film) and Big Hero 6. ^_^

As far as Cinderella goes, it's basically exactly what you'd expect from the classic story with no real surprises. It was well-done with good acting and nice effects, and the mice were adorable. Not much to say about it beyond that. If you're a fan of Disney's animated version then you'll likely enjoy this new movie, too.

Big Hero 6 on the other hand I really, really loved. Very much a Disney comix movie, with all the usual Disney elements and flair, and I adored it for that. The supporting characters could have been fleshed out a tad more for my liking but eh! It was great, at times emotionally charged, and incredibly fun. My two younger sisters loved it, too. Highly recommended if you missed seeing it in theaters! ♥

(I will likely call every cat that I see "hairy baby" for the foreseeable future. :x)

FalChromiforme

Formerly Aurora Beam
I watched cinderella. It was a good movie, and you know it's true when you hear that coming from a dude~
I'm actually interested in the movie tomorrowland. I realize it's trying to put some action-movie context around that section of Disneyland, but it still looks like either a good Disney movie or an entertaining B-list movie XD.
also @Linkachu HAIRY BABY! (and you do realize that low-battery baymax is mean to be drunk person) XD ~the more you know~

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
I saw Kingsman: The Secret Service over spring break, and I have to say it was pretty decent of a movie! The movie was vaguely spoiled for me, though, as my friends mentioned the ending having a "twist" (which my other friend and I figured out very early on in the movie just by watching it). Far from my favorite and I likely wouldn't want to watch it again, but there were some really good parts to it. Including, of course...

Galahad: I'm a Catholic whore, currently enjoying congress out of wedlock with my black, Jewish boyfriend who works at a military abortion clinic. So hail Satan, and have a lovely afternoon madam.

Also, seeing Colin Firth as a badass dude with an umbrella was pretty nice (I really enjoyed The King's Speech so yeah). Along with Samuel L. Jackson, because you honestly can't go wrong with him.

Last edited:
I went to go see Home today with my mom, one of my nieces, two of my nephews, and their cousin. I have to say it was a really good movie, with some tearing up parts in there (which I think is good. When you get someone like me to almost start crying during a movie, it's good). The only thing I wish was in the movie was Sean Paul's "Get Busy" like they did in the trailer. I also find it ironic how Rihanna voices one of the main characters, and has most of her songs in it, including the scene with the radio. So does that mean Rihanna didn't make those songs, but Tip? The world may never know...

NocturnalNetwork

Formerly LatiasMusic
How didn't I see this thread before? XD
Well, my list of movies of this month is Cinderella and Avengers 2.
Cinderella: I'm glad that it isn't all that movie for 5-year-old kids. It is far more realistic. The mice do are adorable x3 and the dresses...wow. Just wow.
Avengers 2: AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME. Very worthy watching. Hulk is being great as always, and I liked the addition of Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver. (Easier to say that than to say their full names.)

Home
All I can say is that this movie was adorable. Ok it wasn't the best animated movie I've seen (that spot belongs to Wreck it Ralph) but it certainly was decent one. I'd be happy to watch this one again if I was asked to :3
Shaun the Sheep
To be honest I didn't enjoy this one as much as I thought I would, which is a shame since I adore the TV show. I really tried to enjoy this movie, but I found myself rather bored and restless roughly halfway through the movie. I wasn't a massive fan of the storyline and would have preferred if Shuan and his buddies didn't go to the big city and stayed on their little farm. Overall it was ok, but not something that I'd watch again or buy on DVD.
Fast and Furious 7
I absolutely loved this one, I found myself glued to the screen. The action scenes were insane! There was one time in the movie where they were driving a car through three skyscrapers, bloody awesome if you ask me. The ending was really sad though (a started to get a little teary). Overall great movie, and a must for anyone who loves action movies.
Avengers 2
Another fantastic film. I wasn't a fan of the start of the film, but as kept going along I found myself really enjoying it. The actions scenes were very good, and there were some real funny parts in the movie as well. Overall a good film.

Overall best: Fast and Furious 7
Overall worst: Shaun the Sheep

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
So I watched Insurgent yesterday with my friends, and I'm actually pleasantly surprised I enjoyed the movie as much as I did. I went in not really expecting too much since I didn't like the book, but wow. The cinematography was really well done, both beautiful and artistic at the same time. They did change the plot of the book pretty significantly, but I personally think it was for the better as the story made more sense that way. Of course, many key components were kept despite the change of plot, so I didn't mind as much. I guess everything just worked out in the end?

I have to say I really liked how Johanna Reyes and Jack Kang were portrayed in the movies. Especially Jack Kang. Probably some sort of bias on my part but I dunno, Daniel Dae Kim is pretty good looking yeah? 8D And Octavia Spencer is really pretty ♥

Well, I just got back from Pitch Perfect 2, and I have to say it's a pretty well done movie. I do believe however that you should be prepared because I'm sure this movie will 95.99% of the time make you sexually confused. Otherwise, great movie, highly recommend it! ~

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
I watched The Intern yesterday and it's not even a sad movie, but I ended up a terrible sobbing mess through about 90% of the movie due to a lot of personal reasons. I had no idea what to expect, as my friend picked the movie just because Anne Hathaway was in it. The theater was full of elderlies, though, which confused me (there was like, only one other group of teens/young adults in the theater with us) until the movie started playing.

I would never watch the movie again just because I know how it affects me (again, for deeply personal reasons), but I think it's a pretty good watch regardless. At least, my friends think it was. But it's a very adult movie with adult themes and conflicts, so I guess it's not really a movie most younger audiences could enjoy or understand.

I saw the new Star Wars movie a couple months back an let me tell you I looooved it! Any I have to get this out you have been warned!
Han solo comes back.....but dies....to his own son...
Phew now that that's out of my system Im hoping to see the MLP movie next November on the 3rd! Woohoo! Go mlp!

Last movie I saw at the theater was Deadpool. I really enjoyed it. It lived up to the spirit of the comic, Ryan Reynolds is great and the action scenes were pretty good. Some minor nitpicky things but all in all pretty good.

So I saw Zootopia yesterday. It was solid! Good writing, really gorgeous scenework, fluid animation - just overall a lot of fun. There aren't enough Disney buddy cop movies either, so I have to give it props there.

Also, for what it's worth, the movie really does beat you over the head with its message, but I happen to think that it's a message that needs to be repeated more in general, so I don't have issues with that. It never felt unnatural either, so it fit quite well.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
I just saw Kubo and the Two Strings today, and oh man I'm in love. It's a great movie and I might have cried a bit (or a lot). Though it also had a lot of funny bits which made me enjoy the movie that much more. Highly recommend it to anyone and everyone, and was a good movie to end my summer on ♥

(Semi-relatedly, all the trailers they showed before the movie looked... really bland. Like, they had one about some cross country track team filled with Bible verses or something and I was immediately turned off because it felt so White(TM). I couldn't stand it, ugh.)

I saw Sausage Party yesterday...there is nothing left to the story. There is nothing else left to add to that.
Still a better ending than Batman v Superman.

Though I will say that this year has been amazing for animated films such as: Zootopia, Finding Dory...this film even...and I want to see Kubo since that's been getting hella praise.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Heyyyy guess who saw Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 twice and I'm so totally down to see it a third time.

Seriously though, the first time I watched it I was... a little underwhelmed, but that's probably because I went into the first movie without any expectations and was blown away, while I went into GotG2 with high expectations that were not quite met. But when I saw it a second time, I picked up a whole ton more, and I think that while GotG1 is still a superior movie in regards to storytelling and pacing, GotG2 did a lot better with developing the other characters. Also, Mantis and Baby Groot are adorable as heck.

I enjoyed the climax of the second movie much more than the first one as well. For starters, Rocket being so emotionally torn about saving his friends and keeping those who're still alive safe absolutely killed me. I was already tearing up when he tasered Gamora and had Kraglin take off without Yondu and Peter, while Drax kept yelling "Rocket, where's Quill?!" over and over and.... augh, it really shows how close the group has come and I'm still not over that. But then the real kicker came when Yondu swooped in to save Peter and sacrificed himself so that his son could live on. "He may be your father, but he ain't your daddy". God, just, fuck, I am so emotional over that scene. I honestly thought nothing could beat the scene with Rocket and the others, but that one scene really speaks to me on a much more personal level and I'm crying as I type about it and jesus christ this movie is so good.

Also, "I'm Mary Poppins, y'all!" (bonus points for using y'all)

Also, the funeral scene broke me. Just, fuck.

Also, Emo Teen Groot is fucking hilarious.

La La Land. Technically- I didn't watch this at the theatre, but it was the last movie I watched. Last night, my family bought it on Amazon, and we watched it. It was the second I watched it, and it wasn't any less amazing than the first time. Some songs were lip-synced, and I only caught it this time. That kind of bugged me, but I also noticed some new "Easter eggs" (technically they aren't, but meh). The "Easter eggs" balanced it out.
That ending got me like ;_;. Like- I'm happy they both achieved their dreams but... damn...

Rather than watching Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2/ Wonder Woman, I saw Captain Underpants. Clearly Captain Underpants is the best superhero movie of the year...minus Logan.

It is.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I recently had the opportunity to see Wonder Woman last week and I'm so glad that I did. I had a great time watching it, and a few scenes were absolutely stunning. It was every bit as enjoyable and fun as the best of the Marvel superhero movies, and I highly recommend it to anyone who's even remotely interested in the film. ^_^