• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

GameFreak runs out of creativity - makes Pokemon from a meme and a 3 year old's drawing of Pikachu

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
CoroCoro_August_2016_Kiteruguma_Mimikkyu.jpg

Well this has been a bit of a weird week all told and it's barely even halfway over.

This month's issue of CoroCoro has leaked and with it came two new Pokemon that, well, push the boundaries.

Kiteruguma and Mimikkyu (left and right on the scan respectively) are the latest additions to an increasingly bizarre 7th Generation of Pokemon. Kiteruguma is based on a red panda (and supposedly not an inappropriate meme character infamous to certain imageboards) and while it does have a bit of an odd design, it's somewhat sane compared to its counterpart, Mimikkyu, which really, genuinely, actually is a rubbish looking Pikachu knock-off.

Kiteruguma is a [type=normal][/type]/[type=fighting][/type] type (so there's a strong chance it'll evolve into something hopefully way cooler with a different type to boot) and has a new ability called Fluffy - but we have no idea what it does. Kiteruguma is reportedly so strong it can break anything in two, which is a bit unfortunate as it really likes to hug its trainers.

Mimikkyu is a [type=ghost][/type]/[type=fairy][/type] that hates sunlight and loves dark places, so wears a cloth at all times to hide from the light - which just so happens to be in the form of Pikachu based on merchandise that was popular 20 years ago - so meta! - because it wants to be loved as much as Pikachu is.

And, again, yes, it is a genuine, actual Pokemon you can really catch and train in the new Sun and Moon games.

If you still don't believe me - and I don't blame you - both sneak their way into this brand new trailer shown in Japan this week in the lead-up to the release of this year's Pokemon movie:

There are a few other details visible in this trailer for the first time, too. As introduced in X/Y, we've got a glimpse of riding multiple kinds of Pokemon out and about in the world of Alola, including Tauros, Sharpedo and Lapras. One would hope that this indicates a wider range than what was available in X/Y, and one would hope even further that after the very good move that was introducing the Soar mechanic in OR/AS that GameFreak have finally binned HMs all together and given us more options in this kind of mechanic instead to replace it. (Please).

The trailer also confirms the return and updates to Pokemon Amie - with a Porygon-styled hairdryer indicating a journey even further down the Nintendogs path of virtual petting.

Meanwhile the biggest, but still most confusing, reveal in the trailer is a battle mechanic that involves your trainer doing silly Japanese-Anime-style poses that power up your Pokemon in a certain way. It's clear that this is the new Mega-Evolution-level mechanic that has been teased for some time in the Japanese logos of the game and on the player characters' wrists, but it doesn't really give us anything but more questions at this point. We'll hopefully get some real information in the next few weeks. My guess, though, is that it's perhaps a counterpoint to Yo-Kai Watch's Soultimate moves and a way to introduce some action from you as a trainer to power up your Pokemon - perhaps by a similar mechanic of having to complete mini puzzles on the touch screen.

Last edited:
The Title says it all. XD

The meme is just a bear with a tiara that hugs hard. Normal/Fighting is not the best, It might turn into a Fairy/Fighting by the way it looks now.

The Pikachu thing is just bad, but interesting....The back story of this thing is actually kind of sad...Fairy/Ghost is a really good typing, it makes Poison moves do neutral damage. Please don't hate for this but....it's kind of cute....XD

Last edited:
I actually kinda like Mimikkyu, yeah it's a bit meta but the concept and backstory is interesting and has a lot of potential. Besides, perhaps we'll find Mimikkyu's wearing Charmander, Bulbasaur, Squirtle or various other dolls as wells.

The idea of riding multiple kinds of Pokemon is cool as hell too, what I wouldn't give to soar around Aloha on my Dragonite the way I did on Latios in Omega Ruby.

Mimikyuu is adorable and I want a team of six of them, especially if they evolve into a sheet ghost Raichu.

Someone I follow on Tumblr pointed out that Kiteruguma looks like it's based not just on a red panda but also on a mascot - like the mascot costumes you see at sports games and the like, which would explain why people in-universe are so scared of it - you wander up to a mascot and it's actually a real bear.

But seriously, I will fight anyone who badmouths Mimikyuu. There's something depressingly adorable about a sheet ghost that wants to be loved so much that it does itself up to look like a Pikachu.

Mimikyuu is adorable and I want a team of six of them, especially if they evolve into a sheet ghost Raichu.

Someone I follow on Tumblr pointed out that Kiteruguma looks like it's based not just on a red panda but also on a mascot - like the mascot costumes you see at sports games and the like, which would explain why people in-universe are so scared of it - you wander up to a mascot and it's actually a real bear.

But seriously, I will fight anyone who badmouths Mimikyuu. There's something depressingly adorable about a sheet ghost that wants to be loved so much that it does itself up to look like a Pikachu.
Agreed!

Anyone knows the bear meme?it is interesting.

Oh man,that pikachu...its more cute that a fusion of a pichu and a dedenne ♥ i want a NX right now,i will make the cutest team alive:that pikachu,pichu,something like a chikorita,probably piplup or oshawott,tepig and torchic ♥

I like the new designs, Mimikkyu more though. Even though the earlier generations seemed to have more creativity, i still like the newer Pokemon! Plus, the whole 'those who are said to have seen under the cloth and see Mimikkyu have fallen under a mysterious illness' thing is really interesting to me! But, i know thats not everyones cup of tea

I actually find Mimikkyu to be pretty interesting in concept and rather original. Kumamon... I mean Kiteruguma is a bit... stiff? I guess that is the best way to describe it.

Fan art should help both of these alot to grow on people though, the poses they chose for the preview are a bit bland.

Good example:
http://rivenor.deviantart.com/art/Kiteruguma-and-Mimikkyu-621219225 (Kiteruguma and Mimikkyu)
Slight redesign on Kiteruguma for the face color but they both look great here.

I just don't know how to feel about these guys. With one hand, I want to embrace these little buggers with lovey-hugs, but with the other I want to love-tap Gamefreak for actually adding them as legitimate 'mons. :p

I'm pretty torn in regards to Mimikkkyu. On one hand I like the concept, but on the other hand... It's Pikachu. Kind of hoping that it evolves and we get to see a lot more of the Pokemon under the cloth. Kiteruguma is kind of meh to me though.

I honestly don't mind them. The bear is a little on the bland side, but I like it's typing and it's face is actually pretty damn cute. It is my favourite of the two overall.
The Pikachu look-a-like isn't bad either, and I actually find it rather adorable.
Anyway I don't think Game Freak is running out of ideas at all. Lets not forget that Gen 1 gave us Toxic Waste, a purple blob, an upside-down Pokeball, and a pile of eggs...

EDIT: So I've absolutely fell in love with Bewear since this reveal, and it is now without a doubt one of my favourite Gen 7 Pokemon (along with Drampa, Popplio, and Mudsdale).

Last edited:
Mimikkyu is amazing, but I have a theory, the other scan that shows the cloth and the stick, essentially it's like spiritomb with the keystone, the stick is actually mimikkyu but it looks like just a normal stick unless it's got something to hide it's ghostly form under, so I'm really hoping there's loads of awful crayon-designs of loads of pokémon for Mimikkyu to be able to become. Also, loving the name Mimic-you =D

Pedobear needs to stand out as something other than "another bear" I really hope the english name actually references pedobear in the nicest possible way but that's probably expecting too much :p

I'm kind of unsure if I should Kituraguma, since Komala and Drampa are both normal types...
Maybe he'll evolve into a Dark/Fighting type...
I'm using the Ragdoll Pikachu though, since I don't have a fairy or ghost type planned and he looks cool enough.

I'm kind of unsure if I should Kituraguma, since Komala and Drampa are both normal types...
Maybe he'll evolve into a Dark/Fighting type...
I'm using the Ragdoll Pikachu though, since I don't have a fairy or ghost type planned and he looks cool enough.
It doesn't matter which types you have or if you have multiple. I'm gonna have way more than 6 Pokemon on my team.

I uh...will admit that Gen VII is definitely testing my open-mindedness when it comes to Pokemon designs lol. However I'm tempted to like Mimikkyu just for being a Fairy.

...and one would hope even further that after the​
very good move​
that was introducing the Soar mechanic in OR/AS that GameFreak have finally binned HMs all together and given us more options in this kind of mechanic instead to replace it. (Please).​

Please. Please let this come true.

Now, I'm going to be entirely honest. I don't think a news post on new Pokemon should be laden with such.. Clear personal opinions. Shouldn't the announcement of new stuff be simply about the news itself? Having opinions on the new stuff is 100% fine, but it seems somewhat.. Unprofessional to pretty much trashtalk the new Pokemon in a /news post/ about them. You're absolutely free to express your opinion on them elsewhere!! It just seems inappropriate to do so in a news post like this, especially when.. Clearly a lot of people /do/ like these Pokemon. It's sort of disheartening to see a news post about them that's so heavily biased against them.

/Anyway/, I'm really excited about both of these cuties!! Kiteruguma strikes me less as bear, and more as a red panda though... It has the right ears and tail!! And Mimikkyu is my new fave! It's such a darling little thing, and its backstory is so sad! ;; I honestly relate to it, as well. Wearing cloth to avoid the sun? Wearing something cute because it wants to be loved by people? Same Mimikkyu, same. Plus I've been waiting for a Ghost/Fairy type for so long!! I'm so happy to finally have that type combination!!! ♥ (Helps that for a long while, when asked what type I'd be, I've answered that I'd be a Ghost/Fairy.)

Last edited:

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Now, I'm going to be entirely honest. I don't think a news post on new Pokemon should be laden with such.. Clear personal opinions. Shouldn't the announcement of new stuff be simply about the news itself? Having opinions on the new stuff is 100% fine, but it seems somewhat.. Unprofessional to pretty much trashtalk the new Pokemon in a /news post/ about them. You're absolutely free to express your opinion on them elsewhere!! It just seems inappropriate to do so in a news post like this, especially when.. Clearly a lot of people /do/ like these Pokemon. It's sort of disheartening to see a news post about them that's so heavily biased against them.

Would your feelings be preserved if I put a giant 'WARNING: SNARKY HUMOUR INFLUENCED BY OPINION' banner in flashing letters at the beginning of my news posts?