• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Final Starter Evolutions, Battle Tower, Island Guardians, and More Revealed!

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
We're getting towards the end of the Pokémon Sun and Moon info dumps, and they've saved up some great stuff for today's reveals. Firstly and most importantly, we've got the final starter evolutions for Rowlet, Litten, and Popplio finally revealed – and yes, they match the leaks from months ago. What we didn't know was their secondary types – and there are a few surprises in store!

We've also got new information on three more Island Guardians, Alolan Persian, and a brand new Battle Tree. Let's jump right in!

Introducing Decidueye, Incineroar, and Primarina

We've met Rowlet, Litten, and Popplio, and we've met their evolutions Dartrix, Torracat, and Bionne. Now, Decidueye, Incineroar, and Primarina have been revealed!

Decidueye_Arch_duc_Silvarro_RGB_72dpi.png
Decidueye
[type]Grass[/type][type]Ghost[/type]
Height: 5′03″
Weight: 80.7 lbs.
Ability: Overgrow
Rowlet swaps out its [type]Flying[/type] type for the [type]Ghost[/type] type after it evolves for a second time – and becomes the Arrow Quill Pokémon. Decidueye attacks with arrow quills, plucking them from its wings and sending them hurtling towards its foes with incredible speed. Its signature move, Spirit Shackle, is a physical [type]Ghost[/type]-type move that pins an enemy down when it hits, rendering them unable to switch out or flee battles.

Incineroar_F_linferno_Fuegro_RGB_72dpi.png
Incineroar
[type]Fire[/type][type]Dark[/type]
Height: 5′11″
Weight: 183 lbs.
Ability: Blaze
It's not Fire/Fighting, guys! When Litten evolves for the second time, it takes on the Dark type, and becomes the Heel Pokémon. Its flame belt is fuelled by its fighting spirit – if it has a pumped-up crowd watching it fight, its power increases immensely. However, it loses the will to fight against injured or weak enemies... which sometimes allows it to be fooled. (I expect it to turn face in the next pay-per-view.) Its signature move, Darkest Lariat, does damage while ignoring any stat changes the enemy Pokémon may have.

Primarina_Oratoria_Primarene_RGB_72dpi.png
Primarina
[type]Water[/type][type]Fairy[/type]
Height: 5′11″
Weight: 97 lbs.
Ability: Torrent
Moving about as far away from fake wrestling as possible, Primarina is Popplio's final evolution, and the prettiest mermaid in the sea. It is the Soloist Pokémon, and as it dances, it releases balloons that it controls with its voice. While it jumps on some of these bubbles, others explode impressively, making sport of their enemies with chained explosions. Its greatest enemies are dry, hot environments and back-to-back battles. If it loses its voice, it is unable to battle. It can learn Sparkling Aria, its signature move, which can heal the burns of any Pokémon it hits.

Three New Island Guardians

Tapu Koko, the guardian of Melemele island, was revealed some time ago. Today, we meet three more Island Guardians: Tapu Lele, Tapu Bulu, and Tapu Fini. They are all part-Fairy type, and all share the Nature’s Madness attack with Tapu Koko, which slams a target with all of nature’s rage, reducing the target’s HP by half. All of the guardian deities can use the special Z-Move Guardian of Alola. When using this Z-Move, the Pokémon closes its shell and a huge avatar appears from the ground to attack the opposing Pokémon, dealing 75 percent of the target’s remaining HP as damage.

Tapu_Lele_Toko_piyon_Kapu_Fala_RGB_72dpi.png
Tapu Lele
[type]Psychic[/type][type]Fairy[/type]
Height: 3′11″
Weight: 41 lbs.
Ability: Psychic Surge
Tapu Lele is the guardian of Akala island, and has a new ability: Psychic Surge, which turns the field into Psychic Terrain, boosting the power of any Psychic-type moves used by Pokémon on the ground and preventing them from being hit by priority moves. It scatters glowing scales that have physical effects on others—providing stimulation to their bodies and healing their illnesses or injuries. However, these scales can be dangerous, as the body can't withstand the changes brought about by touching too many at once. So, while Tapu Lele innocently scatters healing scales for its own enjoyment, it can cruelly cause grievous damage too.

Tapu_Bulu_Toko_Toro_Kapu_Toro_RGB_72dpi.png
Tapu Bulu
[type]Grass[/type][type]Fairy[/type]
Height: 6′03"
Weight: 100.3 lbs.
Ability: Grassy Surge​

Tapu Bulu is the guardian deity of Ula’ula Island, and can manipulate vegetation and cause it to grow – which it can use on its own wooden horns. It has the new ability Grassy Surge, which turns the field into Grassy Terrain. This boosts the power of any Grass-type moves used by Pokémon on the ground and restores a bit of HP to them each turn. It also halves the damage taken from the moves Earthquake, Magnitude and Bulldoze. It doesn't like unnecessary battles or frightening other Pokémon, but can be merciless if drawn into battle. Legend says that it ejected thieves from its ruins by swinging entire trees like giant clubs.

Tapu_Fini_Toko_Pisco_Kapu_Kime_RGB_72dpi.jpg
Tapu Fini
[type]Water[/type][type]Fairy[/type]
Height: 4′03"
Weight: 46.7 lbs.
Ability: Misty Surge
Tapu Fini is the guardian deity of Poni Islandm and attacks by manipulating water. It does not like to risk being harmed during battle, so it creates a thick fog to disorient its opponents and cause them to finish themselves off. It has the ability Misty Surge, which turns the field into Misty Terrain, halving the damage taken by Pokémon on the ground from Dragon-type moves and preventing them from being afflicted with status conditions or confusion. It has very little interest in appearing to people, which may be due to humans trying to withstand its fogs in search of its purifying water – some with evil intentions.

Alolan Persian and Cosmog

APersian_ASnobilikat_RGB_72dpi.png
Alolan Persian
[type]Dark[/type]
Height: 3'07"
Weight: 72.8 lbs.
Ability: Fur Coat/Technician
Alolan Persian is highly intelligent and doesn’t like to grow attached to its Trainer, making it something of a difficult Pokémon to have as a battle partner. Its round face is a symbol of the rich Alola region, and it is considered to be incredibly beautiful. (Takes all sorts to make a world, I guess.) Its exquisite coat shines with the glow of high quality and enchants both humans and Pokémon.

Cosmog_RGB_72dpi.png
Cosmog
[type]Psychic[/type]
Height: 0'08"
Weight: 0.2 lbs.
Ability: Unaware
The Nebula Pokémon Cosmog is extremely rare, and known only to a select few. Named by the Aether Foundation, Cosmog is very curious, and its gaseous body is so lightweight that it’s sent flying when the wind blows. When light falls on the Pokémon, Cosmog can absorb it and grow bigger. It seems to share its colouration with a particular legendary Pokémon...

The Alolan Pokémon League

In all main-series Pokémon fames so far, your final test is the Pokémon League – housing the five most powerful trainers in the region, challengers had to defeat all of the Elite Four in turn, and then face the final challenge: the region's Pokémon Champion. The Champions are considered the finest Pokémon Trainers in the world, and are feared and respected.

However, Alola does not yet have a Pokémon League. As you progress through the Island Challenge, there are plans to construct one at the peak of a certain mountain. Once you conquer the Island Challenge, the day may come where you can challenge the new Alola Pokémon League, and take the title of the strongest Pokémon trainer...

The Battle Tree

After you have overcome Alola's greatest tests, you can travel to the Battle Tree, where the most powerful Trainers – those who have completed an Island Challenge, or are powerful enough to do so – meet and battle. All the Trainers here are incredibly powerful, and many return from previous Pokémon games and regions. For example, you can face off against Sinnoh's champion, Cynthia, or Wally, a powerful trainer from Hoenn – you may remember him from Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire.

There are also two other Trainers you can face off against: legends of the Kanto region, and stars of the first generation of Pokémon games, Red and Blue make their triumphant return!

Red_Rot_Rojo_Rosso_RGB_72dpi.png Blue_Blau_Azul_Blu_RGB_72dpi.png
Once you've bested one of these powerful trainers in battle, you can recruit them to fight alongside you in Multi Battles.

For some reason, the Japanese trailer has a lot more footage than the English one – including some fairly adorable footage of Cosmog. It's well worth a watch, even if you saw the English trailer above.

That's all for today. Join us in the comments and let us know what you think of all the new features!

Last edited:
I chooses a fire house and I love it so let's go litten and someday become incenroar

I can't believe that the trainer from past games have returned from an epic battle in the alola region

Last edited by a moderator:
This is all so cool! Still a big Popplio fan, but I think I might actually choose Rowlet... Decidueye's design and typing's just done it for me... Also a fan of all the new Island Guardian's designs, especially Tapu Fini, Cosmog is freakin' adorable and Alolan Persian is obviously just Garfield dressed as Nermal :D

Seeing all the old trainers, especially Red and Blue, is too cool as well. Bring on these games!!!

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
So, I have noticed something: Wally has his Mega Gallade in the Battle Tree. This makes me wonder if the other returning trainers will have the possibility to Mega Evolve their Pokémon... for example, might Cynthia get Mega Garchomp, or Red get one of the Mega Kanto starters? Maybe not, but it'd be fun...

You know when you really really wanted the chinese leaks to be fake.... And you just hate all the starters in their final form?

Yeah that's me.. I stand by it. I'll have litten, but she stays as torracat. I will use the other starters and see how they are later on, but oh man I just hate all three of those guys.

Yay at facing red again, and a 2v2 vs red and blue, that's just awesome =)

You know when you really really wanted the chinese leaks to be fake.... And you just hate all the starters in their final form?

Yeah that's me.. I stand by it. I'll have litten, but she stays as torracat. I will use the other starters and see how they are later on, but oh man I just hate all three of those guys.

Yay at facing red again, and a 2v2 vs red and blue, that's just awesome =)
Why do you hate Rowlet's badass final evo?

VERY happy with the types of the final evos. I'll be going with Litten as planned but I may have to pick up a male Popplio because I grow stronger every time people are threatened by the gender of a cartoon animal.

Very cool to see Red and Blue again although I can't help but see the absence of Green/Leaf. :/ Also nice to see that the Alolan league is nonstandard for a number of reasons and even lacks a formal pokemon league. This will be fun to play through and discover!

Edit: OH NO COSMOG IS SO CUTE. It bears a resemblance to Lunala, so could this be a legendary pokemon that you have to bond with at last?

Why do you hate Rowlet's badass final evo?
Badass is a question of taste. I think it looks absolutely ridiculous, if I were to see these 3 without seeing any of the other new pokémon, and not knowing much/anything about sun and moon, I honestly wouldn't bother buying the games.
You're entitled to your opinion. You're allowed to disagree with me, but don't call me out for having a different opinion to yours.
Even the name "Decidueye" I can't even decide how to pronounce, I've tried a few variations and there's no way of saying that word without it just sounding weird. Honestly, he reminds me of a really bad animorphs figure from 1999 that featured a man turning into a hawk and neither of the forms looked particularly convincing, I hadn't even noticed this fact until replying to you so thanks you actually made me dislike it more.

When I first saw the final starter evos from that first leak ages ago, I was skeptical about my initial choice in Littlen. Seeing them in 3D, and having their types revealed has quelled those fears. Tony the Tiger Inceniroar is going to fit in just fine on my Alolan team, even though it means I'm going to go double-dark. Decidueye almost steals the spot, but everyone I know has already picked him, so maybe I'll get a bred copy from them.

The Battle Tree, based on the footage in the Japanese Trailer, seems to be heavily inspired by Mt. Battle from the GameCube spin-offs, Colosseum and XD, which is fitting, given that you're climbing a tree. Though I doubt we're going to be seeing lava flow beneath us this time. Cynthia, Wally, Red, and Blue are all a great starting line-up, but I wonder how many more legends of the game will appear, I can certainly see X/Y and ORAS characters appearing. But I still wonder just how far it will go. Will we get Gym Leaders from previous games, making this a true successor of the World Tournament? Will we go even further, and have other previous protagonists appear in the long climb? It will certainly be something to see.

A league under construction harkens back to R/B/Y for me in a way. A brand new league will need a new Elite 4, and a new Champion. The Elite 4 may be characters brought overseas, but I'm convinced that when you get there, the throne is going to be empty, or one of your rivals (Hau would be pretty funny) will be waiting for you just at the very end, which is just how it happens in Kanto.

Ok, here are my thoughts on this trailer in general:

1. HOLY CRAP!! I did not expect Decidueye to become a Grass & Ghost type, though now that I look at it it makes perfect sense!

2. While I love the idea of how they're setting up the Alola League for Sun & Moon, I'm confused since I heard from the rumors that we would be the ones to set up the league for the games. However, this description makes it sound like the league will be finished either just before or right after finishing the main game and then it'll be just like it has been for the last 6 generations

3. Seeing Red & Blue, especially now that they're all grown up, is definitely the biggest surprise out of this entire trailer & I'm still practically speechless! If I had to guess their age, they're probably in their mid-late 20s due to this being Pokémon's 20th anniversary

4. I'm now really interested to see what kind of role Cosmog plays in the game. If I had to guess, it either has a branched evolution that eventually allows it to evolve into either Solgaleo & Lunala depending on which version you're playing, or it has a similar breeding connection to the legendary mascots that Manaphy has with Phione

Last edited:

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
2. While I love the idea of how they're setting up the Alola League for Sun & Moon, I'm confused since I heard from the rumors that we would be the ones to set up the league for the games. However, this description makes it sound like the league will be finished either just before or right after finishing the main game and then it'll be just like it has been for the last 6 generations
I'm wondering if the whole "building the league" thing will be a set of quests/missions you get after finishing the island challenges. I mean, that could mean anything from glorified fetch-quests to a whole campaign, but it'd fulfil the rumour and give you something else to do in the game. We already know there are proper side-quests and the like now, so I really hope they do more with the concept as part of the main game!