• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Favourite Gen 6 Starter!

Which is your current favourite?

• Chespin

Votes: 17 25.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 31 47.0%
  • Froakie

Votes: 18 27.3%

• Total voters
I actually really, really like the final stage of Chespin's line... Is there something wrong with me? ;___;

#TeamChespin ALL THE FREAKIN WAY! Seriously, I knew he would turn into something awesome~ I knew from the second I saw him~ Granted I wish the type was different and that he had ears, but hey, its pretty dang unique~ Plus I've seen a picture of him in Pokemon Amie, and I just... I found my partner. My Pokebro.

Though I do like Froakie's final evo too. Whatever version i haven't played yet will be the one I use Froakie in. I do wish that certain feature was something different. Maybe the shiny will be better?

Fennekin's though... it's my least favorite. In the words of that one guy from that one Pokemon game, "It's not bad, but it's not too great either."

My favorite Generation 6 starter is Chespin. It has amazing evolutions and Grass types are the bomb. :D
My second favorite is Fennekin. I think the idea of a Fire/Psychic type is great, and it is really strong.
My least favorite would have to be Froakie because it just didn't jump at me like the other two. I do give it props for the type duo.

My favorite started has to be Chespin. When I first heard about the starters, I was going to start off as Fenniken. But as soon as I got the game, I decided to go with Chespin. I had no trouble going against the trainers till the first gym(Thank you Rollout) later till I got the final evolution, I had NO regrets picking Chespin and so on, he's my favorite of the 3.

Although Fennekin is my favorite because of its Psychic secondary type after evolving, I start with Froakie so that I have a Greninja and a Delphox after beating the game without out-of-game trading (also because I like Dark types as well).

Froakie. For sure.

I despise the other two, But, I just LOVE Froakie xD
Maybe it's becasue I don't like Fire Types or Grass Types? I don't know, I just love Froakie!
Greninja for the win <33

~Tangle​

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Now that we have all the evidence ("Wait, I object!" "Overruled!" "I object!" "QUIET!" "Dang!") re: these starters, what they evolve into etc, I can actually give some thought to this question.

Frankly, I found all the starters fairly lacklustre when they were first revealed and so my opinion on them was to be heavily influenced by what they'd end up being. The second forms didn't help much (Frogadier was pretty awesome looking but the other two were rather odd) - and the final forms... well.

Strictly design-ways, Delphox is my favorite on account that the other two have something that completely screws them over. Chesnaught's anatomy is extremely awkward - I get what they were TRYING to do with it but it kind of didn't work, and Greninja's god damn tongue scarf completely ruins it for me. Not that Delphox is perfect either (those ear tufts, man @_@), but I like the wizardy direction they went with it, it looks good in art (even if a bit less so in the actual game) and the type combination (I've wanted a non-legendary non-useless Fire/Psychic for quite a while now!). Not bad for something that ends up evolving from a Bobble-headed Bootleg Zorua clearly created to appeal to kawaii-shrieking 13-year-old banshees.

I've yet to properly use any of them due to lack of X/Y but Protean Greninjas are all over the place on battle simulators and are kind of annoying as hell to deal with, whereas I've yet to see a single Delphox or Chesnaught - possibly because there tend to be better options for their type combination and they DON'T get the benefit of being Protean pains-in-the-ass.

... To be fair, though, I suspect that if and when I start a run of X/Y I might not really bother with the Kalos starter altogether. I might grab Chespin simply for the sake of having my roaming legendary bird being Articuno and because I nearly always do my first run through a region with the Grass starter and not really do much with it as I have every intention of running a Mega Blaziken on my Kalos team. But hey, might do a fire-type prisoner exchange and hurf a Fennekin into Alpha Sapphire/Omega Ruby if such would be possible? XD

I chose Fennekin, but I really like Froakie better after finishing the story and getting one on Wonder Trade.
Froakie.

I like all. My overall favourite is Fennekin, but I have opinions on all three, in terms of final forms, since I count those the most:
Delphox: It's design is SO GOOD to me, probably my favourite design now. It fixed Braixen's odd design. I love wizards and witches! And plus, it's shiny form is great, as well. I mean, that deep witchy purple, man. I liked the ear tufts too.
Chesnaught: Second favourite. It was a step away from the reptile grass starters. Not much else to say about it, I like the Grass/Fighting typing.
Greninja: Third favourite. But the first time I looked at it, it reminded me of Koga. Heck, I've actually been thinking of a fanfiction with the two. Then maybe, just maybe, I might like it better.

voidaquariums

Formerly Luxray901
FROAKEEHHHH No. 1
It's HA, Protean, is amazing, which allows it to get STAB all the time, and it just looks plain ADOWABWE.
Fennekin No. 2
It's cute. It's evolution is a beast. My worst problem with it: defenses. Not too hot. It may be second-best to FROAKEEHHHH, but if I couldn't choose FROAKEEHHHH, I would choose Fennekin.
...chespin... No. 3
I don't exactly HATE grass types, but I don't really LOVE them. Besides, just look at Quilladin. Awk-ward... and honestly, I would leave the Grass/Fighting stuff to Breloom.

Last edited:

Rinoa Heartilly

Mother of Meltans
Chespin, hands down! I've still to get the game to play but LOOKATIT.
I've seen the evolutions and I know enough from others discussing its states
to know what to expect and so on, but I'm pretty damn sure that I'd love it all the
more once I have it. It makes me squee~ ♥

My favorite Gen 6 starter is 100% Froakie.
I like the others too, as I really enjoy their dual typing. But from the first announcement of the starters Froakie stood out the most to me. It even got better when Frogadier was released, as he looked like a boss compare to the other starter evolutions. Then it came to the moment of truth. The final evolution; Greninja. I cannot express my feelings when I found out that the water starter was going to be a ninja.:love: I love the design, I know some are put off with the tongue being a scarf, but I love it and the idea of it being his tongue. Also it was a nice change of using a speed water starter instead of a bulky water starter. Lastly it has a nice move pool to work around with and lets not forget, its in the same boat as Charizard in the shiny department. Black is always a winning shiny colour 8)

Last edited:
im a team fennekin guy. i even have a team fennekin shirt

however i think froakie is better than chespin, meaning chespin is the worst of the 3 in my opinion

Chespin is my favorite, I think it is so cute and Chesnaught is badass. I really really like Greninja but I don't really like Froakie though. So yeah Chespin is my fave, but as far as final forms go, I like Greninja, Chesnaught is a very close second though :D

AzureEdge

✧luzrov rulay✧
I love froakie. Who doesn't want to hug a frog? I also side with froakie because of greninja. I mean really who doesn't like a ninja. And for crying out loud it's a tongue scarf.
Chesnaught looks like a ten ton killing machine. Too buff.
And Delphox is weird when it's a boy. (It's a dress!)
I like chespins and fennekins designs, but I will always be on team froakie.