• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Favorite Spin-Off Pokemon Games?

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Pokemon has a ton of them, right? XD Just wondering which of the non-main games everyone enjoys and whatnot~

I'm currently addicted to Rumble World, but pretty sure the PMD games are my favorite of the bunch. Red and Blue Rescue Teams were already very fun, but Explorers of Sky had such a great storyline (and a very fun one, too~) ♥ I really love the mechanics of the game and it's great being able to play as a Pokemon. Gummis were also a cute little addition :D

Only other spin-off game I've played is Conquest, and I really enjoyed that one too. The designs for the characters were pretty sweet, and the artwork in general was awesome. I kinda got bored of the post-game stuff, though, since I couldn't keep all my people each time, but otherwise it was pretty sweet.

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
Does Pokemon Stadium count? If it does that's my favorite. My best friend and I have played that game to hell and back, beaten all of the Stadium Cups, cleared Gym Leader Castle, beaten Mewtwo, and filled the Hall of Fame. The only thing we haven't 100% are the Mini-games because we're both terrible at them! XD

We've played it so many times that we often use restrictions when battling each other such as only use Pokemon that can learn Self Destruct, only use Pokemon that can use Metronome, only use this type, Magikarp battle, etc. We can get pretty creative. The fact that the game is Gen I makes it easy to abuse Missingno to acquire TMs, Vitamins, and Rare Candies to customize our Pokemon when we get bored of the Rentals.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
I used to really really love Pinball RS in the olden days and no one ever remembers the blasted thing. Conquest was also fun (and I'm not a fan of tactical RPGs so that's saying something) although I never actually finished the thing.

Also, I liked the Ranger games in concept and graphical style - although the gameplay never keeps my interest for long enough - I usually hit a wall with some boss or another and it just stops being fun, if 'fun' is the right way to describe having to draw circles around something repeatedly while not accidentally running into anything along the way. <<;

I guess that's the problem with most of the spinoffs - I always lose interest in them midway for some reason. Guess sticking pokeymans on a fundamentally different game just doesn't make it do it for me. xD

pokeman266

2015 Singles Champion
I really liked Conquest as well as Pokemon Rumble for the 3DS. But the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game Explorers of Darkness has to be my favorite. I have high hopes for Pokken Tournament!

I haven't played allot of Mystery Dungeon games, so I have to go with Pokemon Conquest. Just the gameplay, Pokemon, and characters are all so... wonderful.

I love the ranger games! I adore the concept of exploring other pokemon professions besides basic trainers. I really wish they would do more like that!

The Pokemon Ranger series is really great; I love the concept of befriending Pokemon to solve problems instead of just training and battling. The first one is super hard, but the other two are both more playable; it's too bad that it looks like they've been discontinued.

I do not consider XD: Gale of Darkness or Colosseum to be spin-off even though everyone else does. Both games use the same mechanics and data as the handheld games, and it's necessary to trade with said games to get Ho-oh and Lugia. XD however, is my favorite Pokemon game ever.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Good question. After giving it some thought I've realized that I've enjoyed a good number of the spin-off titles for a variety of reasons.

The first two PMD games, for example, have a special place in my heart due to their plots and music (I beat Blue Rescue Team and Explorers of Time). I don't have a huge amount of love for their gameplay but some of the music in them is fantastic, and I certainly shed a few tears at both of their endings. They were just cute and touching and I loved them. ;_;

(Not the original version but I so, so deeply adore this song)​

Then we have the likes of Pokemon Snap, Pokemon TCG, and Pokemon Conquest, each that were great games that deserved sequels - or in the case of the TCG video game, a sequel that was actually released outside of Japan. :p I'd seriously be a very giddy Pokemon fan if they ever announced proper sequels for Snap or Conquest. Both of them had so much potential to go much further than they did, especially with new generations of Pokemon to play with.

The Pokemon Rumble series is another spin-off collection that I quite enjoy, particularly for its co-op gameplay - something that the rest of the Pokemon franchise tends to miss. I accept why Rumble World didn't include co-op gameplay but it likely would have kept me playing much longer if it had. It's just fun smashing through hordes of Toy Pokemon with a few friends along for the ride. <.>

I've enjoyed most all of the Pokemon puzzle-related games as well. Puzzle League, Trozei, Shuffle - they're all great fun for different reasons. That extra Pokemon element just makes them even more enjoyable to play whenever the urge hits me.

Finally, Pokemon Colosseum and XD. Despite all of their faults I really loved those games for being not only console-based RPGs, but also for taking place in an unique region with an original plot. They may not have the best plots going but my gosh was it refreshing playing a Pokemon RPG that didn't revolve around 8 gyms and the Elite 4/Champion.

Honorable mention goes to Pokemon Stadium 1, 2, and Battle Revolution. While PBR could have been better each had their own charms that have made me long for another console battler title. Regardless of the fact that the 3DS Pokemon titles are now in 3D too, it's just not the same as seeing your Pokemon come to life and battle it out on a big ol' TV screen.

So, uh. Yeah. I had a lot of favourites, sorry. :'D

Last edited:
Pokemon mystery dungeon is probably my favorite series due to it's amazing characters and story also probably my favorite character from the games is wigglytuff due to his clueless personality and the fact he is also a complete badass.

oh man, mystery dungeon for sure. every game has made me cry and it was just a large part of growing up for me. i really liked ranger, colosseum, and conquest also

The original Pokemon Mystery Dungeon is always my favorite. Everything about is just so beautiful.

XD is also really fun because of how different it is from other Pokemon games. I'm currently re-playing both of these and it's like my childhood all over again.

AzureEdge

✧luzrov rulay✧
Rumble world is so friggn cute, but I'm going with Pokepark here. Pokepark was the first spin-off I played, and to this day, I haven't finished it, but it was fun to play it while it lasted.