• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Favorite bird Pokémon

What's your favorite bird Pokémon?
My favorite is Xatu because psychic is my favorite type and his design is awesome.
But I love Murkrow and Skarmory too because they're both cool and original.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
This thread is absolutely for the birds.

And now that I've gotten this pun out of the ways, Here's a few of mine:
  • Skarmory, for obvious "I am made of blades and I'm stronger than you" reasons. I absolutely love these things and absolutely hate going up against them in battle. Their level of tank is ridiculous and I've faced some incredibly annoying Skarmwalls over time - just ask Shiny and KoL.
  • Blaziken, anthropomorphic as it may be, is still a bird and one that I am quite fond of. Three generations later and I'd say that it's still my favorite of the fire-type starters' final forms, so that's something alright.
  • Staraptor. Ridiculous -eff!-ing Emo Fringe aside, Staraptor is without a doubt my favorite early-game bird and the one I most want to see a Mega Evolution for, preferably one with a Fighting sub-type to boost that Close Combat attack even more.
  • Sigilyph. Okay, so that one's a bit ambiguous about its 'bird' identity - but the living nazca-line is absolutely amazing to me. Its design is so damn alien I just had to like it even though I've never been too fond of "artifact-creature" Pokémon. Its power is nothing to sneeze at too, and I've seen some ridiculous shit done with Sigilyphs after a bit of setup.
  • Archeops. Weird color-uncoordinated dinosaur bird? W00t. Ridiculous power level? HELL yeah. Flying like an absolute arm flailing drunk? Kind of hilarious. Stupidest fucking ability ever imposed on a Pokémon? Can be swapped out in doubles. All and all? the few flaws of Archeops are compensated for by its sheer awesome. Into the pile of favorite birds you go.
  • Braviary. WHY in the name of gog is that thing NOT half Fighting-type? It wants to be one in every way. It could take advantage of Superpower. It would make it an even better counterpart for Mandibuzz's dark type. Hell. Its Japanese name is Wargle (which sounds more like a distressed turkey noise but is still slightly less dumb sounding than 'Braviary'). But NOPE. Normal Type, Trolololololol. Oh well, Mega Evo potential, I guess? That said, I still love that bird's design and the fact it gets Defiant for a hidden ability makes it even more amazing.
  • Hawlucha - FINALLY, a half eff!ing Fighting bird. Well. 'Bird'. It's sort of a weird anthropomorphic vaguely sorta looks like a bird but is very clearly not one creature, but hell, if I could count Sigilyph, I'm counting Hawlucha. Lucha's only problem (which it can do fine without) is the fact that for some reason the idiots at Gamefreak only made normal gems available in Gen 6 games. Can you people imagine an Unburden Hawlucha with a Flying Gem? Yeah. I'd honestly want like twelve. But even without flying gems, Hawlucha still wrecks shit, and I'm good with that. Plus, the Anime one is amazing.
I am also quite fond of Pidgeot and Swellow - the former for nostalgic reasons (though Mega Pidgeot makes Pidgeot even more amazing these days, Hurricane Death Machine Burd Deployed!) and the latter because it's been a huge fave of mine design-and-narrative ways back in the early days of Gen 3 (and the fact it can still break faces with a flame orb attached to it makes it even lovelier) - but they just barely don't make the cut for favorites.

Counting Legendaries (which I rarely do), Articuno has a warm (or should I say cold?) place in my heart as the only member of the Kanto Legendary Birds that actually looks legendary and graceful (as opposed to a Fearow on Fire or a super-saiyan zappy bird with cardboard cutout wings). Lugia, I suppose, would also count even though I think of it as more of some kind of a draconic cetacean thing of its own kind, but I guess it has feathers so it might count as at least bird-related... And then there's the vampiric-phoenix Yveltal, which is kind of awesome in a weird alien sort of way - But is still more bacon than bird.

Yeah, that sums up my favorites pretty neatly I guess.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
I've faced some incredibly annoying Skarmwalls over time - just ask Shiny and KoL
8)

I absolutely love Skarmory, both from a design perspective and competitive one. However, Skarm is probably only number 3 on my list as two others top it.

Altaria is just a large ball of fluff and I love it to bits and pieces. Its mega forme is even fluffier and is really great competitively as well. Just.... Fairy/Dragon is a great defensive and offensive typing. Yeeeee :'D

However, of the burds in Pokemon, Swellow definitely takes the cake. I love the thing so much; it was a major player in my first in-game team ever, and just... STAB Guts Facade. Nothing more really needs to be said. Well, besides that shiny swellow is absolutelu beautiful.

Honorable mentions are Blaziken, Swanna, Togekiss, Articuno, and Yveltal.

Braviary is my favorite. It's the 'Murica bird. Here are my other favorites.

Staraptor- Used this thing many times and never disappoints
Swellow- Same thing with Staraptor
Dodrio- Always been one of my favorites for some odd reason
Archeops- It's based on the first bird, and that's awesome

Last edited:

Rinoa Heartilly

Mother of Meltans
Skarmory, Articuno, Pigeot, Lugia, Chatot and that's about all I can think of at this moment....
I dunno if Porygon would count as a strange 3D duckburd but it should. I:

Hmm. I think for bird Pokemon I have to say Pidgeot. Not because it is the original 'early bird' Pokemon of the franchise, but because of how majestic it looks aesthetically and it's coloration of mostly neutrals with those locks of gold and pink!

Though admittedly, if Lugia qualified as a bird (sorry, he is not a bird to me) then he'd wipe the floor with everything in my personal opinion of pokemon I like. Though Ho-oh is a close runner up (and no one can convince me he doesn't look like a peacock).