• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Everything went a bit wobbly

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
You may have noticed that for yesterday evening and a fair amount of this morning we were offline. This was because of a DDOS attack on the server (apparently a random attack against our main IP rather than any deliberate maliciousness towards this site) and while the attack has abated, to get around it we've had to shift stuff around on the server a bit.

Hopefully there won't be any further issues and we won't see any further attacks either, but if you do come across any errors let us know in the Feedback Forum (if you can) or through Twitter or Facebook and we can look into it.

So, apologies for the downtime, but hopefully we're all good to go again now.

An attack? o-o I was not expecting that to happen! I thought maybe Google and the Puffin Browser weren't working. But they worked for different sites. I even looked it up but it only talked about trainer cards. I was thinking "Maybe the internet hates me." and I reset the internet.

An attack? o-o I was not expecting that to happen! I thought maybe Google and the Puffin Browser weren't working. But they worked for different sites. I even looked it up but it only talked about trainer cards. I was thinking "Maybe the internet hates me." and I reset the internet.
IKR!!! But who attacked tho?

It was making me mad that i couldnt get on...i thought my wifi was down or something or maybe my phone was acting up...i even went on my computer to try and get on..nothing...o well..as long as everything os back to normal now:)

It was making me mad that i couldnt get on...i thought my wifi was down or something or maybe my phone was acting up...i even went on my computer to try and get on..nothing...o well..as long as everything os back to normal now:)
Same I thought Chrome was messed up

I tried every electronic device in my house and when they didn't work I assumed it was the stupid Wi-Fi acting up. I'm glad that it is all better now. I would be devastated if Pokecharms was down permanently. (It is also reassuring to know that every electronic device I own is not broken XD)

I tried every electronic device in my house and when they didn't work I assumed it was the stupid Wi-Fi acting up. I'm glad that it is all better now. I would be devastated if Pokecharms was down permanently. (It is also reassuring to know that every electronic device I own is not broken XD)
Me to I was freaking out beacause I thought my wi-fi was acting up (as usual)

When I saw it wasn't the internet nor Google/Safari/The Puffin Browser, I figured something happened. I kinda thought that things were being changed or something happened that shut the site down for the time. ^^;

I thought it was my internet, but then I tried it on Google and Internet Explorer (because I use Microsoft Edge) it didn't work, and then when I tried it on my iPad, it still didn't work, and so as my phone, and everything else wasn't working.

You may have noticed that for yesterday evening and a fair amount of this morning we were offline. This was because of a DDOS attack on the server (apparently a random attack against our main IP rather than any deliberate maliciousness towards this site) and while the attack has abated, to get around it we've had to shift stuff around on the server a bit.

Hopefully there won't be any further issues and we won't see any further attacks either, but if you do come across any errors let us know in the Feedback Forum (if you can) or through Twitter or Facebook and we can look into it.

So, apologies for the downtime, but hopefully we're all good to go again now.
yeah i thought something was wrong with pokecharms

This has happend more than once. I got worried. I tried my computer and my mums. But both dont work so i knew that its the web not chrome.(My Opinion). But the person whos attacking has to stop.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Thank you captain obvious
Don't be rude. You're dangerously close to a flaming warning there

What is a DDOS (sorry but i'm too dumb to know)
Distributed Denial of Service - it's where you get lots of computers to send loads of traffic at a website at once to overload it.

Think of it as someone getting control of loads of computers - usually because they have viruses on them - and getting them to load 'Charms all at once and then keep hitting refresh for as long as they can. The server can't handle that many "people" trying to get on it, and it stops being able to respond to real people. (This isn't exactly what happens, it's oversimplified so it's easier to explain.)