• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Everything Was A Little Bit On Fire

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Hello everyone! As our regular viewers will have noticed, Pokécharms was unaccessible for a while yesterday. This was due to the hard drive in our server failing suddenly, which forced us to make a sudden and unannounced server move to our backup server.

Thankfully, we managed to get nearly all of the data out intact. Unfortunately, we did lose the thread watch data, which kept track of whether you want to get alerted when people reply to a thread. All is not lost, however – you can re-watch any threads you're interested in very easily to continue getting alerts. Just follow these simple instructions:
  • Go to the Forums tab, then open the forum the thread is in, such as Pokémon Role Play or Small Talk.
  • Open the thread you want to watch.
  • Just above the first post, at the right, there is a button labelled "Watch Thread." Click or tap that, then choose from the options that appear.
Screen Shot 2016-06-04 at 9.04.04 am.png

That's it – just repeat the process for any other threads you wish to watch :) This doesn't affect watching entire forums, nor does it affect the alerts you'll get from conversations, comments on your works or profile posts, and so on – all that is safe!

From all of us here at Pokécharms, we apologise for the unexpected downtime. As we're now on a brand new server, please let us know if you find any issues with the site.

Last edited:
I'm so glad this is back up! ^^ Yesterday I tried to get online and I was like."Wait- no Pokecharms? What am I going to do with my life!"

Yep. I managed though. I'm so happy that everything is back, and I'll be watching out for small mishaps.

Oh, good. I was worried that the site had been hacked or a virus had got in. If one had really gotten in, everyone's emails would be in danger of a "spam email attack".

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
I think they asked about that previous one @Teapot :)
Oh, right! That's what I get for answering posts first thing in the morning...

@MegaBlastoise15 In 2010, we had a major server crash, like this one, but it ended up causing us to essentially start from scratch - when we finally came back, we started afresh. It wasn't until a few years later that we recovered the data and merged it back in.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
I'm just now this weekend able to access charms from my IP. I could do it elsewhere, but not at my home. Could this have been a bug?
It was something we knew about, yeah. We were working on getting it sorted when the old server broke, and moving hosts has had the pleasant side effect of letting people who were previously having trouble accessing the site back on :)