• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Electabuzz & Magmar Event Begins In UK GAME Stores!

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
Game promotion image.jpg
A new event for owners of Pokémon X and Pokémon Y has started in GAME stores across the UK. The event gives trainers the chance to get their hands on a Electabuzz or Magmar depending on which version of the sixth generation games they have. Gamers with Pokémon Y will be getting Electabuzz while those with a copy of Pokémon X will be getting Magmar. Neither Pokémon can be found in the Kalos region unless you're lucky enough to have a friend with one of them in their Friend Safari.

The two Pokémon will be holding the two items that allow them to evolve when traded. Magmar will be holding a Magmarizer and the Electabuzz will be holding the Electirizer. The full details of the Pokémon are as follows:

125.png

Name: Electabuzz
Nature: Random
Item: Electrizer
Ability: Vital Spirit
Level: 30
Moves: Low Kick, Shock Wave, Light Screen, Thunder Punch

126.png

Name: Magmar
Nature: Random
Item: Magmarizer
Ability: Vital Spirit
Level: 30
Moves: Smokescreen, Fire Spin, Confuse Ray, Fire Punch
To claim the Pokémon just go into your local GAME store and ask for a serial code for either Pokémon. The codes are completely free, so be careful of stores telling you otherwise. The event starts today but we currently have no end date, so better get the two while you can!

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
If I pass by a GAME while the event is running I guess I'll pop in, but the nearest GAME store to me is on the other side of the city so unless it runs for a good amount of time I'll probably skip this event. I have an Electabuzz from a friend's Safari anyway... although the item would have been nice.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Seems like a waste not to give these two their XD: Gale of Darkness movesets since it'd give both of them access to Follow Me, which neither of them can learn otherwise. Still a pretty cool event though and I'll be picking up that Magmar as soon as I can.

Whil I think there's no apparent reason other than giving people special event pokémon, I'm hoping this event is hinting towards the release of Electivite and Magmortite in the future

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
The event runs from 1st April until 30th September, according to the piece of paper attached to the serial code.

Very odd that they're distributing the Pokemon this way though, rather than simply "Come into the store and download it" like usual.

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
The event runs from 1st April until 30th September, according to the piece of paper attached to the serial code.

Very odd that they're distributing the Pokemon this way though, rather than simply "Come into the store and download it" like usual.

Serebii gave the same sort of time frame, but in Europe and Australia the event seems to only run for a month or so. So I don't understand our time frame being that long, if it is. xp

I think distributing it this way is purely to take advantage of the fact we can redeem things with a code rather than just over wireless and they're showing it off. At least, it doesn't seem to make any more sense than that. I'll go pick up one of each at some point, GAME store is a bit out the ways of where I live so I'll just have to remember for whenever I walk past one. :)

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
To be fair, now they have the infrastructure (the Global Link actually doesn't suck!) it's vastly better to do it this way - it's easier to distribute leaflets to their hundreds of branches. Before, they had to make sure each store all have a distribution unit, keep said unit safe and repair it if it doesn't work/breaks, organise taking it back after the event is done... It'd be a far more expensive operation.

baratron

Staff member
Too bad its only for the UK
Update: It isn't.
From the 14th April, players in Belgium, Portugal, Sweden, Finland, Norway, Denmark, Australia and South Africa can download Magmar or Electabuzz.

Also Germany, Spain, Italy, and the Netherlands. So most of Europe plus Australia and South Africa.

I feel a bit sorry for people who live in Ireland or New Zealand though. They get lumped in with the UK and Australia as regions, but don't get the distributions.

Last edited:

baratron

Staff member
Calm down, @Jason59707, there's no need for that kind of hissy fit.

We're reporting the news that we have. Currently, Nintendo have not updated their PokemonXY pages for the United States, Canada, or Latin American regions to include this giveaway. Does it mean they "hate" you? No. It simply means that the giveaway isn't happening in those regions just yet, or hasn't been advertised yet.

Honestly, if you're so desperate for an Electabuzz or Magmar, ask for one in our Wifi Forum! As @KoL pointed out above, there's nothing particularly special about this one's moveset.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Picked up my Magmar code from GAME today. As Bara has pointed out, it is indeed just a regular, bog-standard Magmar besides the fact that it's in a Cherish Ball.

Corion

Formerly Stewie
Calm down, @Jason59707, there's no need for that kind of hissy fit.

We're reporting the news that we have. Currently, Nintendo have not updated their PokemonXY pages for the United States, Canada, or Latin American regions to include this giveaway. Does it mean they "hate" you? No. It simply means that the giveaway isn't happening in those regions just yet, or hasn't been advertised yet.

Honestly, if you're so desperate for an Electabuzz or Magmar, ask for one in our Wifi Forum! As @KoL pointed out above, there's nothing particularly special about this one's moveset.
That was handled excellently.

I picked up my Magmar, so happy it's nature is modest! :D
Now I gotta wait until I see my best friend is online, so I can evolve it :p

If they had made Z version, Rhydon would of probably been the event for that version. With a protector.
A Pokemon Z would be nice, but then, we can all dream. If there is one, which there probably will shortly after the release of ALL the new events: Diancie, Az'
Floette, ect ect, there won't be much change. Probably only speech, minor story changes and different Pokemon. Unless it's got more than that much of a difference, I'm expecting it to fail. Wait- I JUST SAID ALL THAT!?

Last edited by a moderator:
End date has been set at 11th May according to the girl in Game that served me but the code has to be redeemed by Sept 14th or some date in Sept.