• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Detective Pikachu Revealed

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
Detective Pikachu poster.jpg
Yesterday a brand new Pokémon game for the Nintendo 3DS was revealed. The game, known as Detective Pikachu is due for release in Japan next week, February 3rd, through the eShop and features a Pikachu detective capable of human speech.
Detective Pikachu screenshot.jpg
The tagline for the game is ~Birth of a New Duo~ which potentially implies that this will be the first in a number of instalments in the series. The official website lists Detective Pikachu as a puzzle solving, Cinematic Adventure Game, but otherwise it's unclear how the game will play from the footage and screenshots we've seen. A trailer for the game can be seen below:
The talking Pikachu is being voiced by Toru Okawa, who has voiced characters for a great deal of anime since 1995. Okawa is perhaps best known for his role as Roy Mustang in the original Fullmetal Alchemist anime series, and readers may also know him as Heathcliff in Sword Art Online and Kureo Mado in both seasons of Tokyo Ghoul.

It's currently unknown when and if Detective Pikachu will be released in the west, but hopefully we'll hear some promising news soon!

This looks awesome! I really hope it comes out in the west. If it does, I wonder who will voice Detective Pikachu?
P.S.: Do we have a price for the game yet?

Ooh, I'm a fan of detective games and the voice actor for pikachu as well! My birthday's in a couple of weeks as well and I hope I can get this!!

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Roy Mustang's VA is Pikachu.... that is a little shocking imo, but I'm sure he'll do a great job at it :'D

This game is so adorable, I'm curious what the gameplay and whatnot will be like ♥

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I'm very curious to learn more about this game and, assuming it gets localized, to see who they cast for the Pikachu's English VA. I know it'll never, ever happen, but I'd love the chance to be able to play this game with the Japanese vocal track. XD

I swear, this video game better end with a show down between Detective Pikachu and Mob Boss Meowth on top of a sky scraper, all the while throwing cheesy one liners at each other, or I'm going to be a little disappointed.

Props for Nintendo for trying something new. I like mysteries and detective games and I love Pokemon. If Peter Falk (Columbo) was still with us, he'd be a good choice for Pikachu's English voice. As first when I saw the petition, I was like "Would he be too crude? Is this going to be like an episode of 'It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia?'" Then I remembered he was Phil in Hercules. He could fit the tone of the game.