• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Darkrai announced as new competitor in Pokken Tournament

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
darkraidarkvoid.jpg
Today, after a brief tease about it last month, a new Pokemon has been announced as a fighter in Pokken Tournament - the first new fighter to be announced since the release of the Wii U version and the first indication of DLC content arriving for the console version as well.

That Pokemon is Darkrai, which also may confirm two other forthcoming Pokemon as last month, data mining of the most recent patch found references to Darkrai, Scizor and Empoleon in new files introduced to the game. With the confirmation of Darkrai's involvement, it makes it pretty likely that Scizor and Empoleon will be joining it in the future.

Previously, Nintendo, Namco Bandai and the Pokemon Company had all insisted there were no plans for DLC for Pokken Tournament. However, given that they said the same thing about the most recent Smash Bros, it seemed pretty unlikely that it was a definitive answer. This is the first real sign of post-release support for the game and perhaps the first steps towards an indication that an NX port (possibly with all DLC characters included) might not be unlikely.

We'll bring you more info on Darkrai in Pokken Tournament as we get it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it might be a while before we see Darkrai in the WiiU version. I mean, it took them this long to get Braixen and the others into the arcade version, so I expect they'll do another dlc character and bundle that one up with Darkrai. We'll see though.

Darkrai makes me think of a hybrid between Weavile and Gengar, with his phantom images, distant melee attacks, and teleporting fun. Can't really see much about his fighting style from the trailer alone. So I hope to find out more when his arcade release drops.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I like how they've made Darkrai quite unique, something they've done a fairly good job of with all of the characters really. His shadow clones in Field Phase and the Dark Void effect when switching to Duel Phase are quite interesting. Hopefully he'll make it to the console game sooner rather than later.