• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

CoroCoro leaks two new Pokémon

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Once again, CoroCoro has sprung a leak, and among other news largely more pertinent to the Magearna movie and distributions that go with it, it also revealed two brand-new Pokémon. Well, one brand-new Pokémon and one that we've seen in passing, finally given more detail.

Doge.jpg
First in line is Iwanko, the Puppy Pokémon. Remember the vaguely Shiba-Inu looking Pokémon that appeared for a split-second in one of the trailers? That's what it was. It is a Rock-type, 0.5m tall and 9.2kg, with Keen Eye or Vital Spirit as its abilities.
Y'know, because we clearly don't have enough dog Pokémon already. Wow. Such Original. Very Creative. So Bark.

Koala.jpg
Joining Iwanko is Nekkoala, the Half Asleep Pokémon and quite obviously a Drop Bear that was a bit too early for the inevitable future Australia derived region and decided to go hang with Hawaii instead. (Alaska can come too). It is a Normal-type, 0.4m tall and 19.9kg, with a new ability with a name that vaguely translated into "Deep Sleep" or "Absolute Dreaming" (we'll know better once a proper English Name for the thing gets released), which renders it immune to all status conditions except for Sleep. Appropriate, since Koalas in real life spend most of their life sleeping off the cyanide compounds from the Eucalyptus trees they exclusively feed on - though I do wonder where in Alola is Nekkoala ever going to find Eucalyptus trees...
Coincidentally, would that stump it carries with it be considered a dream log?

Aside from revealing these two, the CoroCoro issue also states those who watch the upcoming movie in Japan will receive a QR code that can be scanned into Sun/Moon and unlock a level 50 Magearna - and reveals some new details about everyone's favorite Bakugan Knockoff Fairy. Its ability - like the 'mysterious power' it is alluded to have in the movie - is called Soul Heart, and it learns a new move called Fleur Cannon, alongside Flash Cannon, Lucky Chant and Helping Hand. Whether or not Fleur Cannon is a new signature move or a special move exclusive to this particular Magearna was not stated.

And speaking of distributions related to that movie, it was announced that the Greninja distributed with the movie (decided by a popularity opinion poll in Japan which Greninja took by storm) will have its hidden ability of Protean, and the moves Hydro Pump, Gunk Shot, Mat Block and Happy Hour.

Lastly, CoroCoro made an infuriatingly vague statement about how the three starters of the Alola region, as well as Iwanko (and the possibly the first trainer you meet who has one) all hide some sort of secret. What it is is anyone's guess - but we'll keep you informed if and when we find out. Something tells me we're about to see some new game mechanic, though...

Last edited by a moderator:
just loving this game...region...Pokémon...and just everything so much more. This game looks absolutely amazing...game freak and Nintendo are doing an amazing job so far with this game and celebrating 20 years:)

Once again, CoroCoro has sprung a leak, and among other news largely more pertinent to the Magearna movie and distributions that go with it, It also revealed two brand-new Pokémon. Well, one brand-new Pokémon and one that we've seen in passing, finally given more detail.

First in line is Iwanko, the Puppy Pokémon. Remember the vaguely Shiba-Inu looking Pokémon that appeared for a split-second in one of the trailers? That's what it was. It is a Rock-type, 0.5m tall and 9.2kg, with Keen Eye or Vital Spirit as its abilities.
Y'know, Because we clearly don't have enough dog Pokémon already. Wow. Such Original. Very Creative. So Bark.

View attachment 309762
Joining Iwanko is Nekkoala, the Half Asleep Pokémon and quite obviously a Drop Bear that was a bit too early for the inevitable future Australia derived region and decided to go hang with Hawaii instead. (Alaska can come too). It is a Normal-type, 0.4m tall and 19.9kg, with a new ability with a name that vaguely translated into "Deep Sleep" or "Absolute Dreaming" (We'll know better once a proper English Name for the thing gets released), which renders it immune to all status conditions except for Sleep. Appropriate, since Koalas in real life spend most of their life sleeping off the cyanide compounds from the Eucalyptus trees they exclusively feed on - though I do wonder where in Alola is Nekkoala ever going to find Eucalyptus trees...
Coincidentally, would that stump it carries with it be considered a dream log?

Aside from revealing these two, the CoroCoro issue also states those who watch the upcoming movie in Japan will receive a QR code that can be scanned into Sun/Moon and unlock a level 50 Magearna - and reveals some new details about everyone's favorite Bakugan Knockoff Fairy. Its ability - like the 'mysterious power' it is alluded to have in the movie - is called Soul Heart, and it learns a new move called Fleur Cannon, alongside Flash Cannon, Lucky Chant and Helping Hand. Whether or not Fleur Cannon is a new signature move or a special move exclusive to this particular Magearna was not stated.

And speaking of distributions related to that movie, it was announced that the Greninja distributed with the movie (decided by a popularity opinion poll in Japan which Greninja took by storm) will have its hidden ability of Protean, and the moves Hydro Pump, Gunk Shot, Mat Block and Happy Hour.

Lastly, CoroCoro made an infuriatingly vague statement about how the three starters of the Alola region, as well as Iwanko (and the possibly the first trainer you meet who has one) all hide some sort of secret. What it is is anyone's guess - but we'll keep you informed if and when we find out. Something tells me we're about to see some new game mechanic, though...
YAY NEW POKÉS!!!!!

Nekkoala will be a meme, just you wait... but that ability is incredible. Imagine it's evos heing bulky, and not being able to be statused beside sleep... but you know what's best about that? It can still use rest. That's really cool. It's also the cutest thing ever :3

Also, the ability translates to "definite sleep."

Last edited:
I'm looking through this and I think three things.....1.i love that puppy.....2.yes a koala Pokemon...and 3.......yus someone that knows about bakugan....(me and my bro loved that as kids....keep in mind I'm 17....)

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
Time between starting the article and realizing the author was Stel: two paragraphs.
Same XD

I'm actually surprised by this leak. With how much information was being revealed to us previously, I was expecting a rehash of the Nintendo Direct we got last week. I'm really starting to think that Game Freak announced the games prematurely and had absolutely nothing else to tell us for three months until they could actually get started on them. Tis why we only got concept art in February.

I'm only slightly disappointed that Nekkoala isn't a Grass-type but there's always the possibility that it evolves into a Normal/Grass-type much like how Bidoof and Bunnelby gain a second type. I'm not surprised we're getting another dogge since we get a new one practically every generation. Now the only Pokemon we're missing is the woodpecker we saw in the first trailer.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
4. I hope not only Japan gets that opportunity, just like they get everything else we want.
5. Did they just forget about the Zygarde leaks, or...?

The Zygarde leaks happened a while after the Iwanko/Nekkoala leaks, and so it isn't in THIS story. XP

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
KOALAPOKEMONKOALAPOKEMONKOALAPOKEMON

It's so cute and I might be a little biased because KOALA POKEMON, but god damn if I'm not gonna train one even for 20 levels. That pupper is also really adorable and might find a permanent place on my team, might.

I have never been less interested in a puppy in my entire life, that koala is demanding all my attention. I hope he (or an evo) learns Wood Hammer and can smack tf outta everybody with his log, or I hope he plays it like a bongo drum. Now I just wanna have a bonfire on the beach in Alola with my koala playing the drum while I'm fire dancing. That's how I'm celebrating my first gym victory.

Ok first the puppy Pokemon looks really good. I expected it to be the HM Pokemon everybody puts on their team but it's something better than that.

The half asleep Pokemon looks like it would evolve into a grass type because of the tree stump in its hand.

The secret the puppy Pokemon and starter Pokemon hold I would guess they can mega evolve. Or it has something to do with the bracelet that the player has on in the trailer of the region on June 2nd.

Last edited:
Ok first the puppy Pokemon looks really good. I expected it to be the HM Pokemon everybody puts on their team but it's something better than that.

The half asleep Pokemon looks like it would evolve into a grass type because of the tree stump in its hand.

The secret the puppy Pokemon and starter Pokemon hold I would guess they can mega evolve. Or it has something to do with the bracelet that the player has on in the trailer of the region on June 2nd.
Probably something to do with that bracelet thing, most likely either mega evolution or that Ash-Greninja thing, which I would be pretty pumped about.

Hey this is off topic, but for Gen 5 and 6, you could even argue 4, have had a theme.
Gen 5: Different countries, with Oshawott being Japan, Tepig being China, and Snivy being France.
Gen 6: RPG classes, Froakie being Thief, Fennekin being Mage, and Chespin being knight.
And by arguing Gen 4 I mean this:
Different mythological beings:
Piplup being Poseidon, Turtwig being World Turtle and Chimchar being Sun Wukong. It IS a stretch though, since the World Turtle and Sun Wukong are both Chinese mythology, and Poseidon being Greek.
So could it be, and I know we've heard this before, that the 7 generation starters are based on a theme as well?
Most people think Circus, and I agree.
But...
Anybody else think there could be another?

Hey this is off topic, but for Gen 5 and 6, you could even argue 4, have had a theme.
Gen 5: Different countries, with Oshawott being Japan, Tepig being China, and Snivy being France.
Gen 6: RPG classes, Froakie being Thief, Fennekin being Mage, and Chespin being knight.
Piplup being Poseidon, Turtwig being World Turtle and Chimchar being Sun Wukong. It IS a stretch though, since the World Turtle and Sun Wukong are both Chinese mythology, and Poseidon being Greek.
So could it be, and I know we've heard this before, that the 7 generation starters are based on a theme as well?
But...

Gen 5 represent different things in feudal japan. Samurott is a samurai, Emboar is a sumo wrestler, and Serperior is an emperor. I don't know where the hell you got the countries from. Oshawott=japan makes sense, but I don't get the other two.

Oh cool! Didn't have to say a curse word...
But yeah, that makes much more sense...
Even though Unova is based in America...
*X-Files theme intensifies*

Last edited by a moderator:
But...
It's probably Circus, or trickery of somesort. As I remember, Rowlet rotates it's head, Popplio is a clown, and Litten is a cat (that might turn into a lion.). What I mean is, what if it's the lion that jumps through the ring of fire? Just a guess.

Popplio is a clown. Obvious.

And I think Rowlet is just magic. I dunno, probably related to talents. Juggling, Ring of Fire, and rotating head.