• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Coming 1st March - A Whole New Pokecharms

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
pokecharms2010.png
At midnight (GMT) on 1st March 2010, Pokecharms.com will be relaunching with a whole new look and a wealth of new (or, returning) content, features and updates across the board.

This has been quite a while coming, following 2009's relatively quiet year without any major updates or new features for the site - but, finally, next week we'll be launching our new design, new Pokedex, new Staff Showcase feature and more.

In order to work on getting all this up and working properly (as well as to clean out some of the clutter lying on the server), Pokecharms will be completely unavailable from Friday 26th February, through to the midnight re-launch. As such, the forums will be unavailable, and we apologise for that inconvenience - however, when they return, we'll be on the newest version with a wealth of new options and features to try and make up for it.

We're really looking forward to finally being able to share all the stuff we've been working on for the site over the past year and are really looking forward to a renewed Pokecharms - ripe and ready for the Fifth Generation - and we hope you will be too.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
[quote author=Dark Soul link=topic=7321.msg132483#msg132483 date=1266594761]
Hell yeah! Even better version of Pokecharms. But will nothing happen to the posts?

I think the posts will be ok, it's only during, server swaps I think, that some posts get eaten.
[/quote]

It's a pretty rare occurrence for any issues with transferring posts, actually. We've had some problems in the past - but those have been due to rather extraneous circumstances (hacking, server splosions, etc). By taking the forums down to make sure all the work can be done safely on the latest database source, there wont be any problems.

I -have- been sorely tempted to start the forums from scratch ('cos the database is fairly messy from years of constant upgrading - it's not even a native SMF database...) but these days it isn't really an option because far too much would be lost.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I -have- been sorely tempted to start the forums from scratch ('cos the database is fairly messy from years of constant upgrading - it's not even a native SMF database...) but these days it isn't really an option because far too much would be lost.

No mention of me being a rabid forum beast this time? XP

I'm really excited for this relaunch. Very much looking forward to seeing everything up and functioning on the first :D

Dude, may I say awesome? I do hope the change isn't too drastic, however, though this just may be the AS talking. :p

The only thing I don't like the the hiatus, though I do realize it is necessary. I'll miss this cereal and Pokemon-based site.

Cool! Too bad I won't be able to hide in my room and 'charm while my little sister is runnin 'round screaming at her birthday party though :/(not that I 'charm much anyway, but whatev's)

I'm excited for the update! Thanks, Alex, for putting so much work into 'Charms. You have made a wonderful website and you should be extremely proud of it.

Exciting I hope it doesn't turn out like the new facebook layout it where everyone bitches about it but the only problem is a minor inconvenience and with the upgrade is their gonna be a new Pokemon trainer card maker I believe somewhere I saw that topic mentioned before on the site