• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Change in Chat Rules

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
In order to help combat spam and other nasties, we as the staff have decided to implement a new rule in chat: It is now not possible to come into chat with the default (mib_xxxxxx) nicks. Due to the system we use to do this, it will tell you that you are banned: do not fear, simply come in again with a different name.

We hope this doesn't cause too much inconvenience: simply use any other nickname and you'll be able to get in just fine.

Read More

Is that such a good idea?

Is there not a way to make it so that if you join with that name, it gives you a welcome message telling you to change your name or be removed in the next minute or so?

I'd be surprised if people searched for a topic like this if they failed to join chat in that regard :o

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
LoN said:

I'd be surprised if people searched for a topic like this if they failed to join chat in that regard :o

Considering why the ban was added, I'd say that it's perfectly fair for anyone who fails to change their name. The freedom was allowed originally and people abused it, especially when countless times these "mib" chatters outright refused to change to a proper nickname. This is the result. :x

For future reference however, this news will be shared in other places as well (preferably directly on the Chat page).

Unfortunately, yeah. As practical as the Chat button is, it tends to be an open invitation for people we don't nescesarily like or want around. I've encountered at least one.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Well, we've got several new members who came because of the chat button, and I'd been wanting it back for ages for that reason. The fact that we're bound to get some slightly unsavoury types is inevitable, which is why we've increased staffing in the room and implemented this rule, but the benefits outweigh the costs. As Katie says, we'll try and make the rule clearer for new members.when we can.

Linkachu said:
LoN said:

Considering why the ban was added, I'd say that it's perfectly fair for anyone who fails to change their name. The freedom was allowed originally and people abused it, especially when countless times these "mib" chatters outright refused to change to a proper nickname. This is the result. :x

Yeah I know why it was added, I just think its a bit extreme - you dodged my other comment entirely, what do you think of doing that?

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Apologies, didn't mean to dodge it.

Basically, if the function's there - which I doubt - I certainly don't have the permissions to change it. The kicks would have to be manually done, too - no Services bot I know of, let alone the one SystemNET uses, conditionally kicks after a timeout. We can set an entry message, but it'd display for /everyone/. Not ideal. Katie's suggestion of just putting this news post somewhere visible near the chat box would likely work best.

I'm sure the code can be added in above the Chat channel on the site to display the message to new members, easily enough.

I wasn't sure what bots were around to do that sort of thing, but I was just making sure you guys had considered alternative options ^^

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
For future reference however, this news will be shared in other places as well (preferably directly on the Chat page).

Basically this. I don't have permission to edit the chat page itself, else I would have already done it. :)