• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Ash To Face Unova Champion *Spoilers*

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
An episode of the Pokémon Best Wishes anime series due to air in Japan on the 13th of October is set to see Ash take on the Unova Champion in battle.

Read More

Well this is certainly interesting. I'm wondering if it will be another curbstomp battle like every other battle Ash has had with a member of the elite four lol

As said, expect this to be exactly the same as every other episode Ash battled an Elite 4 member.

Its too bad we've never gotten to see Ash challenge the Elite 4 in a tournament....the DP saga had hints of it but it never happened.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
precita said:
Its too bad we've never gotten to see Ash challenge the Elite 4 in a tournament....the DP saga had hints of it but it never happened.

Agreed. They built it up and up that Ash might challenge them good and proper at some point, and then the idea went nowhere. I almost wonder if such a challenge had been in the books but the Japan release date of B/W forced it to be discharged. It wouldn't have made sense for Ash to linger in Sinnoh once the games were out.

But that would be wishful thinking. Chances are they never planned for it to happen and the series writers were just stringing us along. ;p

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
He is SO going to get his posterior handed to him.

I wonder if they're going to give Volcarona a cameo, even if it'll be a non-battling one.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Linkachu said:
precita said:

Agreed. They built it up and up that Ash might challenge them good and proper at some point, and then the idea went nowhere. I almost wonder if such a challenge had been in the books but the Japan release date of B/W forced it to be discharged. It wouldn't have made sense for Ash to linger in Sinnoh once the games were out.

But that would be wishful thinking. Chances are they never planned for it to happen and the series writers were just stringing us along. ;p

I dunno, I think the chance of a proper match with Cynthia still exists. She does at least have a valid presence in Unova. He did say upon finishing the Sinnoh League that he was determined to fight Cynthia and win - doing so in Unova would probably be enough of a loophole that means he doesn't get to be a Pokemon Master yet, but he does get to win. Or at least come damned close.

I think we'll just have to wait and see there.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
StellarWind Elsydeon said:
But if this means we might get to see Volcarona in the anime, I'd be quite content. Which is a change for THIS series. >>

Isn't the whole point of Alder's character that his Volcarona died and the one you eventually face is a replacement?

At any rate, the preview makes it pretty clear that Ash probably won't get past Bouffalant anyway.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Alex: No one said anything about the Pokemon he lost being a Volcarona. They just said that his partner Pokemon (or perhaps his starter, something like that) died and he's been wandering ever since. Unless I'm missing something?

Also as I pointed out in the edit I made, I'd be content with even a quick non-battling appearance. Because I love the damn things. But eh, chances are the reveal of the fuzzy bastard would probably be in a movie. Like Hydreigon's was. XD

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
StellarWind Elsydeon said:
Alex: No one said anything about the Pokemon he lost being a Volcarona. They just said that his partner Pokemon (or perhaps his starter, something like that) died and he's been wandering ever since. Unless I'm missing something?

Considering he's designed after it and it's his headline act, I'd say it's pretty well implied that Volcarona was it.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Considering the relative rarity of Volcarona/Larvesta, I dunno. Also, to me he doesn't seem particularly designed after it. But eh, 'implied' does not mean it was. It's like a lot of ships are 'implied' but aren't. XP

But either way, we're going royally off topic here. Either way, Ash is going to be trampled by the bovine equivalent of Samuel L. Jackson in Pulp Fiction, and that's good enough for me.

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
See I wanna see Ash win but I know he won't. >.> That preview trailer from awhile back makes me think he might not even come close.

Pikachu should be some super powerful Pokemon by now, and once just once I'd like to see the writers turn him into that so Ash could win the battle.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Demelza said:
See I wanna see Ash win but I know he won't. >.> That preview trailer from awhile back makes me think he might not even come close.

Pikachu should be some super powerful Pokemon by now, and once just once I'd like to see the writers turn him into that so Ash could win the battle.

Consider this. Pikachu was Ash's first and he's trained it for ages, but typically these powerful trainers are in the same boat. Further still, many of the most renowned trainers have been raising their Pokemon much, much longer than Ash has. Pikachu might be a godmoder but he's still only been with Ash for so long.

It's one thing when Pikachu loses spectacularly to a weak Pokemon (that's just silly writing), but a battle like this? He should lose. x3

Doctor Oak said:
I dunno, I think the chance of a proper match with Cynthia still exists. She does at least have a valid presence in Unova. He did say upon finishing the Sinnoh League that he was determined to fight Cynthia and win - doing so in Unova would probably be enough of a loophole that means he doesn't get to be a Pokemon Master yet, but he does get to win. Or at least come damned close.

I think the problem was back in DP not only did we see all the members of the Sinnoh E4, but Ash and Paul were constantly reminded of a, "Champion league" that they would go to if they ever won a league. We also saw Aaron, Lucian and Flint battling Cynthia on TV in the champion league.

The only reason DP was exciting at the start is it really seemed like Ash was going to win the league that time, Ash Vs. Paul was probably originally planned to be the finals, but instead they had no time for Elite 4 stuff and just threw in that Darkrai trainer so Ash would lose yet again.

Its a shame really, it seemed like the writers had bigger plans for the DP saga in terms of Ash's growth but it all had to be cut short. Its why DP started off seeming like it would be Ash's ultimate journey, and by the end it felt like just another region by the time it ended.

The problem with Best Wishes is Ash really feels regressed this saga to make things feel more like Kanto, even with Iris and Cilan telling him what to do like Misty/Brock did. Ash has reverted back to being the, "newbie" of the group, and its a damn shame because it almost makes BW feel like a reboot of the series, rather than a continuation of what came before it.

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
precita said:
I think the problem was back in DP not only did we see all the members of the Sinnoh E4, but Ash and Paul were constantly reminded of a, "Champion league" that they would go to if they ever won a league. We also saw Aaron, Lucian and Flint battling Cynthia on TV in the champion league.

The only reason DP was exciting at the start is it really seemed like Ash was going to win the league that time, Ash Vs. Paul was probably originally planned to be the finals, but instead they had no time for Elite 4 stuff and just threw in that Darkrai trainer so Ash would lose yet again.

Its a shame really, it seemed like the writers had bigger plans for the DP saga in terms of Ash's growth but it all had to be cut short. Its why DP started off seeming like it would be Ash's ultimate journey, and by the end it felt like just another region by the time it ended.

The problem with Best Wishes is Ash really feels regressed this saga to make things feel more like Kanto, even with Iris and Cilan telling him what to do like Misty/Brock did. Ash has reverted back to being the, "newbie" of the group, and its a damn shame because it almost makes BW feel like a reboot of the series, rather than a continuation of what came before it.

Yeah I too thought there was bigger plans for the Diamond and Pearl series but the writers just seemed to run out of time. Hopefully this can be sorted this time around as they seemed to have rushed the story slightly more.

As for Black & White feeling like a reboot of the series, this is what it's meant to be. The same way the games have been seen as a reboot of the series by not letting players use older, well known Pokemon until after the E4. Everything to do with the 5th gen seems to have been put forward as a reboot, even the newest Black & White movie felt like that to me from what I've seen.

This isn't to say we shouldn't have high hopes for what's to come though, if the writers keep the story going at a fast enough speed we should get a decent league, over the 'running out of time' of Diamond & Pearl.

Even in the games with Level 100s, I had trouble defeating Alder. That Bouffalant just kept absorbing everything I threw at it. I certainly need to bring a fighting type next time.

Fighting types! That's it! Ash has a Scraggy that could prove very useful in the Champion battle.

But this is the same Ash who let his Pikachu lose to Panpour :p remember that.

That, and I don't think he'll remember to use it.

However, my theory is that Ash and Alder will fight, then get distracted by something like that Gigalithe.

Well, that's reassuring. (and yes, that was sarcastic) Seriously, Ash needs to learn some more realistic battle skills and keep a consistent level of skill.