• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Action Replay: Good or Bad?

I think Action Repaly is good because you can do thing you normally wouldn't do in a game (like get shiny pokemon WAY easier). But then again, it's bad because it freezes the game unexpectedly. >:( I HATE IT WHEN IT DOES THAT!!! >:(

I'm pretty sure there's already a topic about this, but..

I'm against AR's, and, I will admit, I have one, but don't use it. Sure, it makes things easier, but it sucks the fun out of games because you don't have to work to get what you want. (Lazy people may think this makes the games better, though.) And, using the AR in battle dosen't show off the skills that you've gained, at all.

In the case of Pokemon: For hacking TMs and (to an extent) items: yes, AR is good. Because face it, if you're into competitive battling, you'll find yourself in great need of TMs--especially ones that require you to go to the Battle Tower. I don't have that kind of time on my hands anymore. [size=3pt]And the Battle Tower despises me[/size].

In General: For everything else, no. I'm against AR, especially for getting Pokemon. If you're using AR for anything besides something like TMs, then you're broaching on sucking the fun out of the game like Shroomish said or at the very least bragging about achieving something you really didn't achieve at all.

Edit: Wow, I realize this is in the General Video Game forum and not the Pokemon Chat forum. *Goes to make necessary changes.

Action Replay has its ups and downs.

For lazy people, it gets them the stuff they need or want fast, and lets them do what they want.

For terms of comedy, having an AR to some ridiculous things is also amusing.

It also lets the player to get hard to get things, like TMs in the Pokémon games.

The downs, it screws up your game and shows that you really didn't do anything to get to where you are at. All you did was cheat your way through.

AR is good, when used in a controlled fashion, otherwise, it's not that good record and accomplishment wise.

Last edited by a moderator:

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
In my opinion, AR takes the fun and challenge away from Pokemon. Shiny Pokemon are meant to be hard to get, and uber rare, because they are special. If everyone just tapped in a code and could have any shiny they wanted, they'd completely lose their appeal and value.

I can see where the TM cheat is useful, especially for competitive battlers, like Carmen said. It can be a pain only getting one of something and often I raid past games for TMs I may have left, or can buy in the stores. However, I'm completely against hacking Pokemon, especially to use competitively. It undermines the efforts of those who've spent ages breeding for the right nature, IVs and moves. Like-wise with those who hack to complete their 'Dex. It undermines those that painstakingly caught/breed/evolved/traded their way to over 490 Pokemon.

Just the possibility on it freezing my game is enough to put me off, along with the fact that I firmly believe that hacking Pokemon is wrong. It's completely missing the point of the game to me.

I can however, understand that if a player has no WiFi, or people around them to trade with, AR is necessary :p

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I'm pretty sure there's already a topic about this, but..

We have, but it's probably months old now so this is alright.

Since this topic was posted on the non-Pokemon video games forum, I'll look at it more broadly. I will say, though - Palki, what good is getting a hacked shiny? I dunno. Maybe some people don't mind hacked shinies because they simply want the color, but the fact that shinies are rare and everyone doesn't have them is what makes them valuable to me. Maybe getting a shiny is luck and some people figure "why be proud of luck?", but winning the lottery is luck too... and we're all damn proud when that happens XD

Anyways, now the non-Pokemon stance... AR exists to be used, so I can't really condemn it as a device. It's just a tool that can give people some extra bonus' in their games and can cause some interesting situations. For me, as long as a person isn't bragging about an accomplishment they used an AR to receive I don't mind much either way. It's their choice to use one. They just need to realize some people are 100% against the device, so making comments like "You could use an AR..." in help topics is really pointless and annoying XP

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I've always used an Action Replay in Pokemon games to give me access to what Nintendo wont. Basically, the unobtainable Pokemon that generally were never given an event either in the UK at all or just anywhere that I could even feasibly try and get to. To that end, I'd say "fair enough". You can't complete the game without either being extremely fortunate (or being Japanese or from the centre of New York) or cheating. So, pretty much, the latter's the only option left there.

I do also use it occasionally for items and the like, but generally if you're not going to play the game properly - what's the point in playing it at all?

Also, since there's no way in hell this topic is ever going to seriously swing away from Pokemon, I'm moving this to the correct forum.

Cheating on games used to never bother me when I was younger, but now I'm completely against it. Like many of you have already said, it takes the fun out of the game. I guess for some people, though, getting things instantly is fun, but I can almost guarantee that that fun won't last as long as it could if you work hard for things. When someone sees a shiny in the wild, anyone who knows what a shiny is and realizes that Pokemon is shiny, is always very excited - who wouldn't be? But if you already have some or all of the shinys because of a cheat or hack, I doubt it's as exciting...

The only thing I'd understand cheating or hacking to get is what Doctor Oak said - Pokemon that can't be obtained in-game. I still probably won't ever hack to get any of those Pokemon anyways, with the hopes they will be available in the future. Like maybe with a G/S/C remake, we may be able to get Celebi, who I don't even think has EVER been given away, legitly? (Right?)

But anyways, I'm just against cheating in general, even on non-Pokemon games. There is a big difference to me, though, between getting help (like with a walkthrough), and punching in cheat-codes left and right.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Like maybe with a G/S/C remake, we may be able to get Celebi, who I don't even think has EVER been given away, legitly? (Right?)

Was available in Japan through Pokemon Crystal and the Mobile Adapter; there was an event for it in the US for Crystal - but because of the 4th movie being delayed it was never as big as the Mew giveaways; Japan got Celebi on the Pokemon Colosseum bonus discs, and the US had a Celebi giveaway a couple of years ago for Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald as part of the 10th Anniversary celebrations.

There has never been a proper European distribution of Celebi though, and overall it's the least legitimately available Pokemon ever - particularly outside of Japan. One of the major arguments in favour of a G/S remake or new Johto game for Gen IV is that it'd rectify this.

Really? Guess I just never heard about it then. I really do hope they will have another wireless one if they make a G/S/C remake...

Regardless about that, through, Celebi is one of those Pokemon I'd have nothing against someone else hacking to get. Celebi, Mew, Jirachi, and Deoxys were/are all pretty hard, if you ask me. But that's mostly all I'd understand someone maybe hacking to get on a version. All others, though, take the fun out of getting them yourselves.

I have an AR but I only used it to get TMs for my pokemon. Once I used it for berries, and it made ALL my berries Cheri berries. X_X Haven't really used it since then, and I have loads of berries, all gotten through planting ^^

I try not to use mine until I've beaten the game. I remember how I'd beaten it right about when The Rise of Darkrai came out. Since I didn't have anything better to do, and I really wanted a Darkrai, I bought one.
I do also use it occasionally for items and the like, but generally if you're not going to play the game properly - what's the point in playing it at all?
I usualy use it for items too. It can be really useful to have 100 rare candies if you're an Eevee breeder. I need them for Glaceon and Leafeon.
There are some definate down sides. I have ruined my Diamond permanatley. :-\

meh the only downside to it is half the time you cant find a working code and if you dont enter them right your game will freez those are the only ones i see i dont use mine too much though only for master balls and poke

meh the only downside to it is half the time you cant find a working code and if you dont enter them right your game will freez those are the only ones i see i dont use mine too much though only for master balls and poke

I've pretty much turned my Diamond version into a lab rat for my blog. People want to see the Diamond and Pearl missingno I give it to them. I tell them I hacked to get to it of course.
Anyways part of my blog job was to find the correct Arceus code. It took me hours! It's really hard to find good codes that work.

It depends on the circumstances, and what you use it for. With TM's and (conditionally) Items, it's fine. In competetive battling, you may have a need for two of the same TM, and it's impossible to get two. Take Grass Knot, for example. You can only get one unless you import them over from one of the other two (from Diamond, Pearl, or Platinum), and to some people, that's impossible.

For getting Pokemon, mostly no. There is only one exception I can think of. Say you spend over a month constantly watching Pokemon.com for new events giving away legendaries. You continually ask your parents, and they always say yes. Then, the day you have to go, you are told your parents have to work and can't take you. You also either can't get a friend to do it, or (in my case) don't have a friend. In that situation, I believe it's perfectly acceptable to hack that Pokemon (with the exact same moves, ability, nature, and level. NO shinies.) and whatever item it came with. Wouldn't you agree?

Ok, I am kinda on both sides of the AR.

On pearl, I used it to get some shinies. *shrugs*

On Diamon, however, I hacked it A LOT. Like teaching a Charmander how to Surf or a Caterpie to Fly. In general, it was pretty fun for a while. Of course on that game I never used it for competitive battling- that would be unfair. I did hack to get the Flute, Letter and Ticket for Arceus, Shaymin, and Darkrai.

But on platinum, my goal is (now that I have Wi-fi) to try and get everything on there without hacking. So far I've been sort of sucessful. I have gotten a total of 4 shinies, and Raikou (which I never would have gotten on my own.)

So, hey, if you want to hack, go ahead.

I love my AR I don't use it all the time (considering that its deleted my pearl 4 times)but I like it I don't use hardcore cheats like have all the baadges cause that sucks out all the fun but I use codes to get Pokemon that you can't normally get like Shaymin or Darkrai.

I'm okay with an AR for TM and item cheats, and if there's no other way to get a pokemon, and of course for just general messing around...
But I HATE when people use ARs for EXP gain or stat hacking. it takes all the fun out of doing it yourself.

I have an AR. I use mainly for faster breeding so I can get the right nature quicker. The only thing I really hate about the AR is people. I hate when people assume I'll use a modifer code (for those who don't know what that is it's simply a code to catch any poke) to obtain any pokemon for them. Why would I want to ruin the integrity of the game any more? When it comes to cheating everyone has their limits.

I'm against AR's, and, I will admit, I have one, but don't use it. Sure, it makes things easier, but it sucks the fun out of games because you don't have to work to get what you want. (Lazy people may think this makes the games better, though.) And, using the AR in battle dosen't show off the skills that you've gained, at all.

I agree with shroomish chan action replays suck the fun ot of the games. I only use mine for geting event pokemon of the past.

I'm fine with AR as long as it's just used to get TMs and event-only Pokemon. None of those events ever occur near my area anyway, so if I wanted a Darkrai or something, I wouldn't have any other choice but to use AR.

But I'm against cheating your way through the storyline, giving your Pokemon moves it normally couldn't learn, and making an all-shiny team. That would take the fun out of the game.

Well, on one hand, it feels kind of wrong to get hacked Pokemon or items. I mean, the game is meant to have some challenge to it, and it kind of takes the fun out if some random person decided to have a level 100 with 999 stats D:. (I've seen it in a friend's game, and I was like, how cheap).

I do have one, but usually I just play around with walk through walls. Heh, you can like, possess people by walking into them. It's fun to giggle at. Also, with event Pokemon, I'm okay with that.

Although it is cool to get free shinies, items etc.
But it makes the games ridiculously easy, makes them barely any fun and freezes unexpectedly. So I'm against AR.

ARs have always been a bad little machine to me, yet my brother uses them to no end. The ONLY time I'd use a AR is to catch the un-event pokemon. (Celebi, Mew) But to use them to get maxed-out pokemon or unlimited Master balls is just wrong.

Using a AR to get maxed out pokemon takes the fun out of gaming, espiacally now that my brother has made a habit of making pokemon learning moves they can't! I would like it once in a blue moon to just get a Arceas using an AR, but doing it evry day takes the joy out of the phrase, "Gotta catch 'em all!".

I've been playing Pokemon for a loooong time (over half of my life) and one of the most amusing things I could do was use the AR to walk through walls and stand stupidly next to NPCs that were behind counters like the nurse Joys XD Mainly I used my AR to get Arceus, Darkrai and Shaymin by walking over water. (Which was fun btw)

I occasionally used it though to make custom pokemon through pokesav. (which was loads of fun btw) I pretty sure that's what broke my AR though I never really had any freezing or glitching problem unless the damn thing was bumped. Which sucked.

I Think that an AR can actually add to the enjoyment of the game if used responsibley and not repititively. Then again it all depends on the "Hardcore-ness" (or purist) of the gamer XD ( I doubt that's a word . . . add it to your vocab anyway XD)

Tailon

Gryffindork
I own an AR, but I only use to screw around after beating the elite four and extraneous challenges (Battle Frontier, Battle Tower, etc.)

I only like AR's for fun. Like walking through walls! Hehehehe....But still it CAN mess your game up, and I really think it's not that great. I only use it to get those expensive medicines (Calcium, Protein, Zinc, etc.) so that when my poke's get to level 100 (Eventually), they have boosted stats. But I NEVER use it for hacking like 999 rare candies or 999 master balls. That just sucks the fun out of it. And only for shinies too, but I catch them myself.

I used AR to catch shinies, 999 Rare Candies and Master and Cherish Balls (like Blue Mew), 493 Heart Scales, of course it can let you catch any pokemon, and to always capture Pookemon, never comes out