• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

A New Generation Appears? Pokémon Sun and Moon Trademarks Filed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
So, a very interesting piece of information has just popped up on the "Office for Harmonisation in the Internal Market" (the EU's trademark office) for two new Pokémon games: Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon. (You'll have to search that website for "Pokémon Sun" or "Pokémon Moon" to find them; we can't link directly.)

sunmoonlogos.jpg

Normally, we'd dismiss this as a pretty good hoax, but there's quite a few things that legitimise this: Firstly, the OHIM is a real organisation, and Nintendo have filed real trademarks there before. These games are filed under the same account as all previous applications, so this is definitely coming from Nintendo.

Furthermore, while Nintendo have been known to file trademarks "just in case" before – Pokémon Grey got trademarked years ago, as an example, but never became an actual game – no such trademarks exist on this database. Filling trademarks in the OHIM costs nearly a thousand Euros, too, so it would be an expensive just-in-case filing.

We don't know what platform these games are on, and with the timing of this announcement it's hard to make an accurate guess. It's possible that these games are New 3DS-enhanced or New 3DS-exclusive games, but it's also possible that these games' logos will be revealed tomorrow, but the games themselves won't be shown until E3; revealed as NX games. The fact that the announcement tomorrow is only five minutes – and we know most of that will be a recap of Pokémon's history so far – lends credence to this idea: If they aren't allowed to reveal gameplay until the NX is formally announced, an announcement would necessarily be very short.

Likewise, we don't know where these games are set, or whether they'll count as a new generation. With Magearna being known about, there's a very real chance we're looking at Generation 7 – but again, nothing has been confirmed.

So, more questions than answers, but an exciting glimpse at the future of Pokémon. We obviously cannot confirm this – no-one can until Game Freak show us what they've been working on tomorrow.

Either way:
maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Im actually really excited to see if these games exist, and I did do some research and it appears multiple websites have posted about the two possible games. It could be possible that these games are going to exist!! Can't wait to see if this is gonna be Gen 7!!

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Im actually really excited to see if these games exist, and I did do some research and it appears multiple websites have posted about the two possible games. It could be possible that these games are going to exist!! Can't wait to see if this is gonna be Gen 7!!
All the other websites are reporting on the same info we are; which is the trademarks in the website linked in the article. Basically, to take a look at the same info we have, go here: https://oami.europa.eu/eSearch/ and type in "Pokemon Moon." :)

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
From what I have found there hasn't been anything about it in the U.S.
Nope, not yet :) I'm not really sure why that is – it may have been someone at Nintendo of Europe jumping the gun, or maybe it's a quirk in the way the different systems work. Either way, I wouldn't draw too many conclusions from the absence of a trademark in the US just yet. We shall see tomorrow!

Nope, not yet :) I'm not really sure why that is – it may have been someone at Nintendo of Europe jumping the gun, or maybe it's a quirk in the way the different systems work. Either way, I wouldn't draw too many conclusions from the absence of a trademark in the US just yet. We shall see tomorrow!
Yes we shall!

Well, I'm psyched. I may not be able to watch the presentation tomorrow, but I'll definitely check out the news later.

I really want this to be on the 3DS, and not on the NX. I seriously don't want to have to just watch a Poketuber to see the story because it's on the NX. I'd like to be on the regular 3DS, so I can experience the story for myself and not have it spoiled. I think this will be good, I don't know which version I'll go for, probably the one with the Mascot I like the most and the version exclusives I like the most. Overall, I am really surprised this happened. I mean, it messes up the trend pokemon games come out completely! I'm excited and nervous about the next pokemon direct.
But Either way:

upload_2016-2-25_18-19-34.png

XD

If this is a new generation with a fresh region and new gym leaders, will there finally be hope out there for the Dark Type enthusiasts who lack a Gym to flock to?

So if this is true, then it's definitely a new gen.
Darn, it still feels like the sixth gen was just revealed yesterday. Time sure flies.
Anyways, I'm excited to see what these games have to bring.

It's a picture of the moon :) The text is not really important.
But part of it says "the sun is still out, the moon is shining bright"... if that even has anything to do with this. Just saying, it could be a random post XP
EDIT: After staring at the logos I randomly thought: "Cresselia?"

Last edited:
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I'm hoping this isn't Gen VII. After all the hype they've been building for Volcanion, and Zygarde's other forms, it would be a slap in the face to drop Gen VI so suddenly. Also, regardless of generation, I share Kalosite's hopes that those of us who still have original 3DS can get in on the action without strictly having to watch a playthrough on YouTube because it's only on the newer 3DS system.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I'm hoping this isn't Gen VII. After all the hype they've been building for Volcanion, and Zygarde's other forms, it would be a slap in the face to drop Gen VI so suddenly. Also, regardless of generation, I share Kalosite's hopes that those of us who still have original 3DS can get in on the action without strictly having to watch a playthrough on YouTube because it's only on the newer 3DS system.
I certainly agree. However I don't think that will be a problem since it's always been all the systems in that family right? Nobody ever said you can't play B2/W2 on the DS Lite. Or maybe you can't. Idk.
Plus the gen VI mythicals might play a part in these games. You never know when it comes to Nintendo...

I certainly agree. However I don't think that will be a problem since it's always been all the systems in that family right? Nobody ever said you can't play B2/W2 on the DS Lite. Or maybe you can't. Idk.
Plus the gen VI mythicals might play a part in these games. You never know when it comes to Nintendo...
I myself have a DS Lite it plays all DS games, (I still don't get why they made the 2DS we already have a system that plays 2d and 3d games. It's called a 3DS!) That's what I am hoping for though. Most likely If it is real it will be released on the 3DS and not another game system. (Nintendo wouldn't just make a few games for a new system and then move onto something else so quickly)

2df242e98ec759598a392f979cd46eb0dfd69852_hq.jpg

Guys. Guys. GUYS. THERE ARE 791 POKEMON NOW!!!
(So much for finally catching them all... XD)
EDIT: You know what's scary (or maybe exciting) about this list type wise?
There are no starters.
In fact, the only Pokemon I see here that evolve twice are Bakemomen (732), possibly H-Gen (748 ), Ishinmai (763), Sheirubu (775), Shin'in (782), and Byooji (785).

Last edited:
Yes! Finally another game! This represents Mega Weavile for sure! 100%! Also, all aboard the hype train! First stop: Nintendo Direct, Second stop: Pokken!

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Guys. Guys. GUYS. THERE ARE 791 POKEMON NOW!!!
(So much for finally catching them all... XD)
EDIT: You know what's scary (or maybe exciting) about this list type wise?
There are no starters.
In fact, the only Pokemon I see here that evolve twice are Bakemomen (732), possibly H-Gen (748 ), Ishinmai (763), Sheirubu (775), Shin'in (782), and Byooji (785).
Bear in mind that list is leaked, and thus isn't likely to be real. So try not to get too excited before we see official confirmation! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.