• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Pokémon Video Game Championships 2014 Rules Revealed

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
Play Pokémon Logo.jpg
The rules for the next season of the Pokémon Video Game Championships have been revealed. Not many changes have come into effect, and any that have were mostly expected, but nevertheless this is how our 2014 rules look:
  • Battles will still be using the Double Battles format as it has done for a number of years now and we'll be using Pokémon X and Pokémon Y.
  • Players this year are limited to only using Pokémon from the Kalos Pokédex. So anything from #001 to #150 in the Central Kalos Pokédex, #001 to #153 in the Coastal Kalos Pokédex, and #001 to #147 in the Mountain Kalos Pokédex.
  • As many who have played Pokémon X and Pokémon Y know, a lot of the Pokémon found throughout the Kalos Pokédex are from past generations. However, while the Pokémon can be used in this VGC season, you can't use a Pokémon that has been transferred to Pokémon X and Pokémon Y using Pokémon Bank and Poké Transporter. All Pokémon used in this VGC season must have been caught or hatched in Pokémon X or Pokémon Y.
  • Mega Evolutions will be allowed in this ruleset, as are all Hidden Abilities currently released.
So, this is how our VGC 2014 rules look. With Nintendo currently holding the Pokémon Winter Championship in the UK many of us are already using and adjusting to rules very alike these. If you wish to know anything else about this year's rules, then you can read about them right here.

Last edited:

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
So basically all TPCi are doing is, in their attempt to get rid of RNG'd 'Mons from previous generations, encouraging players to use even more RNG'd 'Mons from previous generations to use as breeding fodder in Gen VI, purely to re-create the stuff we already had.

Congratulations, you've failed to do what you intended and annoyed a large number of players at the same time. TPCi have been terrible at organizing tournaments for the last two years before Gen VI and clearly nothing has changed.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
So basically all TPCi are doing is, in their attempt to get rid of RNG'd 'Mons from previous generations, encouraging players to use even more RNG'd 'Mons from previous generations to use as breeding fodder in Gen VI, purely to re-create the stuff we already had.

I don't think it's just that though. I'm sure trying to clean the RNG slate is part of it, but they're also taking into account that X&Y will have created brand new Pokemon players too. Those players won't have access to the crazy amounts of move tutor moves that B2/W2 offered, nor anything that Gen IV had to offer. Leveling the playing field moveset-wise makes sense when this year's VGC follows the immediate birth of Gen VI. The goal for the Pokemon Company and Nintendo has always been to pull in fresh blood at the dawn of each new gen.

I can sympathize with long-time competitive players since they'll need to retrain their Pokemon but I honestly would have been surprised if TPCi hadn't enforced a rule like the "only Kalos native Pokemon". In a sense it's no different than how they handled the first year of Gen V, only in that year the only Pokemon people could actually use were brand new Pokemon due to how Black/White's regional Dex was built.

Not trying to argue against those who are annoyed (I do get where they're coming from) but I personally don't see the problem because this should have been expected. The Friend Safaris + Destiny Knot + Super Training has made breeding for good IVs and EV training Pokemon easier than ever too, and many people had already started competitively breeding new teams before this announcement was even made. :x

Quad-posting. Remember to click Edit to add additional thoughts into your post!
I'm going to enter with my pokemon and BE CHAMPION!!! BEAT IT!

don't worry, no matter what, I, wait I mean we can do it. :D

probably because double battles are quicker?

and plus.... is there a prize for runner-ups and winner?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wondering about the hatched part of Kalos Native rule. Does this mean if we took an old gen pokemon & breed an egg for its basic form does that qualify it under hatched & kalos native?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Wondering about the hatched part of Kalos Native rule. Does this mean if we took an old gen pokemon & breed an egg for its basic form does that qualify it under hatched & kalos native?

Assuming that I'm reading your question correctly, it doesn't look like that's a possibility. If the Pokemon don't fall within the regional Kalos dex then they're not eligible for entry:

Players this year are limited to only using Pokémon from the Kalos Pokédex. So anything from #001 to #150 in the Central Kalos Pokédex, #001 to #153 in the Coastal Kalos Pokédex, and #001 to #147 in the Mountain Kalos Pokédex.

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member

Katie already answered your question in one regard, but if you'd meant it in the other regard i.e bringing over a Pokémon through Bank or whatever from a past generation that is also in the Kalos 'Dex and breeding it, then that would count.

Anything hatched in Kalos is Kalos native and as long as it's in one of the regional Kalos Pokédex's then it can be used! ^^

I emailed play pokemon about their rules about hatched & native in Kalos and this is their answer.
A solution for your issue has been suggested.
Thank you for contacting us.

A Pokémon is legal so long as the Pokémon is
  1. In the Kalos Pokédex
  2. Hatched/caught in Kalos/Pokémon XY
This does mean that a Pokémon may have a parent that is not legal.
Sincerely,
The Pokémon Support Team