• This is the archived Cryptidex for Pokémon X, Y, Omega Ruby, and Alpha Sapphire. While we keep this version of the Cryptidex open for viewing, it is now closed to new comments.
  • Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

#680 - Doublade

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
680-0.png

#680 Doublade
[type=steel][/type]/[type=ghost][/type]
20446_info.png

Japanese Name: Nindangiru
Classification: Sword Pokémon
Height: 2'07"
Weight: 9.9 lbs.
Egg Group: Mineral

20450_abilities.png

Ability: No Guard

20449_cryptidata.png

Revealed: Doublade was revealed through the official Pokémon Facebook page on the 25th of September.

Additional Info: What appeared to be a single blade becomes two blades when Honedge evolves into Doublade! The two swords converse telepathically and can carry out complicated attacks together.

20454_pokedex.png

X: When Honedge evolves, it divides into two swords, which cooperate via telepathy to coordinate attacks and slash their enemies to ribbons.
Y: The complex attack patterns of its two swords are unstoppable, even for an opponent greatly accomplished at swordplay.

20453_locations.png

Evolve Honedge

20455_evolution.png

20508_679-681.png

Evolves from Honedge at level 35 and into Aegislash when exposed to a Dusk Stone.

20462_levelup.png

--- Tackle
--- Swords Dance
Lv. 5 - Fury Cutter
Lv. 8 - Metal Sound
Lv. 13 - Pursuit
Lv. 18 - Autotomize
Lv. 20 - Shadow Sneak
Lv. 22 - Aerial Ace
Lv. 26 - Retaliate
Lv. 29 - Slash
Lv. 32 - Iron Defense
Lv. 36 - Night Slash
Lv. 41 - Power Trick
Lv. 45 - Iron Head
Lv. 51 - Sacred Sword

20469_artwork.png

Doublade.png
20470_screenshots.png

sept_adds_p4_1_f1yzd.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
While I wasn't expecting this, it kind of makes sense that Doublade was revealed this way since Honedge was first revealed by itself at the Japan Expo in France.

The blades look awesome, that's for sure, and I had a feeling that, if Honedge would evolve, it would more than likely be something similar to Magnemite and Klink, but I just didn't expect this for some reason . . .

I would probably like this more if they didn't hype it. If it was just there in the game when I played it I'd think he was cool. But they make a big exciting announcement on Twitter and when they reveal it, it's just another one of the "we put two of these Pokemon together and now they are evolved." deals. Kind of a let down if you ask me...

I... I don't know what to think of this. If Quilladin didn't disappoint me, not in the slightest, this... thing did. I mean, I was absolutely going to train a Honedge with my other Steel types, but this changes everything. I mean, I do understand the concept behind it, in that it's supposed to be based on the tradition to hang swords on a wall (as @Toastie guessed on the announcement article). But even knowing that, I still can't say that I like this. At all.

This really came as a shock to me. I thought Honedge wouldn't have any evolutions or pre-evolutions, as it looked like a general no-evolution Pokemon to me. I also didn't imagine a possessed sword could evolve. Nevertheless, Doublade has happened. While it is of a tiny bit lazy design and is basically a Magneton-esque evolution, I still like it somewhat. I like the idea of two swords mounted on a wall, and I'm still using this line on my team.

I'm kind of really disappointed with it's design; But not because of the whole 'two swords stuck together' thing. That was kinda expected. I'm more disappointed that they didn't really attempt to make the most out of the design. They could have redesigned the linked scabbards to resemble a face. Heck, they could've just had it's pupils aligned parallel to one another to give the sense that this is one creature, and not two stuck together.

Well, it's not gonna deter me from liking this line. It's still a great typing with a great ability and an interesting concept. The fact that it evolves just means it's stats are gonna be good, too.

I'm going to say this much: The design? Good...ish. The name? Awkward-sounding. The fact that it can learn Sacred Sword? Not sure what to make of that.

I can agree with Satoren, though. The crossed sheaths resembling a face would have been interesting. In fact, the two merged sheaths look somewhat like a shield, though that's just me. As for the name, it sounds like "Da (the) blade" to me. I would've gone with something like "Dualade" or "Croslash", but Doublade works too, I guess.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
I'll be honest, it's a shame this was revealed with so much hype, given that it isn't the most creative of designs. That said, I like Honedge a lot and I still like Doublade. It certainly isn't going to stop me training one and it doesn't stop me liking Honedge.

I'm not upset that its two pokemon in one. I'm not upset about its name. I'm just disappointed that it didn't get any longer. "Doublade, the dual great sword pokemon" would have been awesome. I cant wait to have one.

Last edited:
As a person who has a habit of not evolving their Pokemon, the lazy design of this Pokemon just gives me more reason to have an Eviolite-ed Honedge. I love the concept, hate the outcome of the evolution. Welcome Excalibur to the team, the overconfident Honedge!

Not gonna lie, this does look a little lazy. I was never all that impressed with Honedge's design although I like the concept. Like @UmbralHero hinted at, I'll be naming any I get after swords either in history, mythology, or videogames. The first one is going to be called either Ragnell or Alondite. But yeah...Doublade leaves much to be desired.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I like it. I liked Honedge and Doublade is basically two of them together so nothing much changed xD It is a lazy design, but no more than we usually get when they combine things, like Magnemite and Diglett, so that doesn't really bother me. I mean, what's better than one sword? Two swords! :D

Yeah but even the previous lazy designs like Magneton, Muk, and Klingklang had a certain charm to them...maybe I just need Doublade to grow on me but right now it just might be my least favorite Gen VI Pokèmon so far.

I dont really know what to say about the design of this but I someone have ever watched GameTheories on YouTube there was a theory that these pokemon like magnemite to magneton was a step in its evolution. It needed to do this because it had to do this too survive. And maybe because of the fact that honedges maybe are rivals all of them and that's why they needed to evolve. Just a theory after all. But i still love this pokemon because of the evolution AegisSlash which is my favorite new gen VI pokemon.