• This is the archived Cryptidex for Pokémon X, Y, Omega Ruby, and Alpha Sapphire. While we keep this version of the Cryptidex open for viewing, it is now closed to new comments.
  • Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

#658 - Greninja

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
658-0.png

#658 - Greninja
[type=water][/type]/[type=dark][/type]

20446_info.png

Japanese Name: Gekkouga
Classification: Ninja Pokémon
Height: 4'11''
Weight: 88.2 lbs.
Egg Group: Water 1

20450_abilities.png

Ability: Torrent
Hidden Ability: Protean

20449_cryptidata.png

Revealed: Greninja was officially revealed by Pokemon.com on the 12th of October. It, along with Delphox and Chesnaught, was leaked a few days prior to the official reveal but was not reported on due to Nintendo's wishes for them not to be revealed before the games release.

Additional Info: In can compress water into shuriken, launching them with enough force to cleave metal!

20454_pokedex.png

X: It creates throwing stars out of compressed water. When it spins them and throws them at high speed, these stars can split metal in two.
Y: It appears and vanishes with a ninja's grace. It toys with its enemies using swift movements, while slicing them with throwing stars of sharpest water.

20453_locations.png

Evolve Frogadier

20455_evolution.png

20498_656-658.png

Evolves from Frogadier at level 36.

20462_levelup.png

--- Night Slash
--- Role Play
--- Mat Block
--- Pound
--- Growl
Lv. 5 - Bubble
Lv. 8 - Quick Attack
Lv. 10 - Lick
Lv. 14 - Water Pulse
Lv. 20 - Smokescreen
Lv. 23 - Shadow Sneak
Lv. 28 - Spikes
Lv. 33 - Faint Attack
Lv. 36 - Water Shuriken
Lv. 43 - Substitute
Lv. 49 - Extrasensory
Lv. 52 - Double Team
Lv. 56 - Haze
Lv. 60 - Hydro Pump
Lv. 70 - Night Slash
Lv. 75 - Water Shuriken

20469_artwork.png

Greninja-X-and-Y.jpg
20470_screenshots.png

oct_p03_02_2334d.jpg
oct_p03_01_fd865.jpg

oct_p03_03_bc7sd.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't say I'm a big fan of the tongue scarf either (it's not like there was anything stopping it from wearing an actual scarf; Hitmonchan, Throh, and Sawk all wear clothes for no apparent reason), but I don't regret starting with Froakie, as Greninja is an awesome fighter.

Last edited:
After seeing it around for a while, I don't really mind the tongue scarf anymore. It's a little gross on paper, but also quirky and it really makes Greninja stand out. Compared to the fox in the dress *Male Delphox shouting 'ROBE' in the distance* I'd say Chesnaught's and especially Greninja's appearances are more interesting and memorable.

Now if only this thing wasn't such a jack-of-all-offenses, it'd probably be more interesting in battle. Greninja, being part of the type that has the most species out of any other type, has a lot to prove. Hopefully its Dream Ability gives it an edge against the several other entries that came before it.

Japanese Name: Gekkouga

Height: 4'11''

Weight: 88.2 lbs.

Type: [type=water][/type]/[type=dark][/type]

Classification: Ninja Pokemon

Ability: Torrent
Hidden Ability: Protean

Revealed: Greninja was officially revealed by Pokemon.com on the 12th of October. It, along with Delphox and Chesnaught, was leaked a few days prior to the official reveal but was not reported on due to Nintendo's wishes for them not to be revealed before the games release.

Additional Info: In can compress water into shuriken, launching them with enough force to cleave metal!

Evolutions: Evolves from Frogadier at level 36.

Moves: Water Shuriken
I LOVE THESE THINGS

well yeah..............i got confused by the tongue scarf because it`s past evos had foam/bubble scarf.................it would totally make him look better............but whateves! greninja rocks!
I know right froakie is the beast greninja is my fav besides infernape

Can't say I'm a big fan of the tongue scarf either (it's not like there was anything stopping it from wearing an actual scarf; Hitmonchan, Throh, and Sawk all wear clothes for no apparent reason), but I don't regret starting with Froakie, as Greninja is an awesome fighter.
Greninja is boss plus depending on the moves it uses it changes types so it can learn about anything

I love Greninja. I don't mind the tongue scarf, since I know the concept behind that. Plus it's shiny form looks too epic. And protean...how can I state this? Oh right: Greninja is incredibly powerful, as it gets a STAB boost on any move it uses. For some reason, I picture Koga having a greninja ._.
Lol, me 2

The first time I saw it, I was like '' Is it choking with it's tounge?"
But then I acctualy got used with it! Though, bubble scarf looks better, I can't imagine Greninja with it :p.
Still prefer Delphox over it, but the Ninja design is too epic. And Water/Dark..
Good job GameFreak.. Good job..

*sighs* That scarf. That stupid TONGUE SCARF. Why, oh why, Game Freak?

Well, at least it can make shuriken, that is freaking awesome!

However, I'm still in debate over Fennekin or Froakie, purely because of this. :p
I'd go Fennekin in the game. :]

Am I the only one who's not super-crazy about the Froakie family?
I'm not super crazy about the froakie family either, but Greninja is cool :)

Hey i didn't know anything about Froakie,Frogadier,or Greninga but guess what i choose Froakie and i did research on the other starter evoultions and i ignored them and pretended that Froakie was the only starter left.

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL I had Greninja for the longest of everyone in this thread or whatever its called! I beat the game 2 months ago my Greninja is Lvl.88

I love Greninja. I don't mind the tongue scarf, since I know the concept behind that. Plus it's shiny form looks too epic. And protean...how can I state this? Oh right: Greninja is incredibly powerful, as it gets a STAB boost on any move it uses. For some reason, I picture Koga having a greninja ._.
O.O That Archeops and Gyarados must have gotten into some little kid's Halloween candy!

Aren't Greninjas so freakin' awesome?!? The protean ability is just way to cool and the moves it can learn are awe-some!!!!! Plus my shiny Greninja is way way to strong. And all Greninjas are right?!?

I don't played X and Y that often (I play it every once in a while but not that much). So I don't really know what to tell you about Greninja, but.. Greninja has the best design in Gen 6 for a new pokemon in my opinion.